Lanyard loop on Colt Officers, nuts?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, December 23, 2011, 15:43 (4667 days ago)

I'm thinking of getting a Smith and Alexander MSH with lanyard loop for my Colt Officer's Lightweight. It won't add too much weight and I will be able to take it with me in the canoe without sweating over losing it. Nuts or not?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by BobM, Ohio, Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:15 (4667 days ago) @ Hobie

Makes sense to me. I put one on my 5" Colt for the same reason, and my S&W M&P40 has a lanyard loop too.

by Charles, Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:17 (4667 days ago) @ Hobie

I have arched housings with lanyards loops on all of my 1911s, including the commercial Colt GM that came with a flat housing and no lanyard loop. I would not have a pistol I took into far away places without a one. Does a good job as a bottle opening as well!

by MR, Friday, December 23, 2011, 18:17 (4667 days ago) @ Hobie

If I was going to carry it in a canoe, I'd put a leash on it in a heartbeat. It's just a mainspring housing. If you don't like it afterward - just put the original back on.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, December 23, 2011, 19:53 (4667 days ago) @ Charles

Geez that's a good idea !!

by Bud, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 09:36 (4667 days ago) @ MR

I only have one gun with a lanyard...a 2nd model handejector S&W in 455S&W. I didn't care for the lanyard all that much and have another set of grips that I use but have to remove the loop. I'm putting it back on and it will be my canoe/boat gun from here on out. Thanks for the idea!!

Rob Leahy motivated me with a story he told about a 629 MG

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 10:19 (4667 days ago) @ Bud

going into the sea in Alaska (IIRC). I like to canoe and this is going to be a must on my CHP gun in the boat. Oh, I knew it was a good idea from my military service but his story made it personal. :-D

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

My MG went into the sea, with me attached, no lanyard, but

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 12:21 (4666 days ago) @ Hobie

the holster worked. I have seen the Hogue grip screw replaced with a sling swivel stud a time or two. I am surprised Hogue doesn't;' offer that as an option. Maybe Kelye should add that to his line up?

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 13:48 (4666 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I got an extra Uncle Mikes swivel stud or two for just that purpose. However, I will say that your story scared the hoo-doos out of me. I'd just been out in the canoe and had recently taken a dunking. I have one knife on the bottom of Lake George, New York and have no desire to make a primitive sacrifice to the water "gods". ;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

(Ruger, S&W) / Hogue Lanyard Rings

by FOG, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 14:05 (4666 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Bowen sells lanyard rings specifically made for Rugers and S&Ws fitted with Hogue grips.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/lanyard_rings_&_studs.html

They are kind of spendy, though (about $50).

The bright side? No gunsmithing needed. (lol)

Hope this helps.

:-)

by Catoosa, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 22:46 (4666 days ago) @ Hobie

Me and my fishing buddy Richard took an unexpected swim in the Caney Fork below Center Hill Dam a couple of years ago. Fortunately they weren't generating at the time. (No way we woulda been on that water if they had been!) Also fortunately, my gun and cell phone were in the trunk of Richard's car back at the ramp. The experience has made me a great believer in dry bags and lanyards.

Hogue lanyard.

by cas, Sunday, December 25, 2011, 20:28 (4665 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The Yellow Hogue X-frame grips bought from S&W came with one. So someone is making them, either S&W or Hogue.

Nuts or not it is ordered. Money went out in the mail today

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 14:29 (4663 days ago) @ Hobie

so we'll see how it works out. I understand why they won't put one in an aluminum MSH but there should be a solution to that.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread