Handgun primer for 'noobs'?

by FOG, Monday, January 21, 2013, 20:42 (4270 days ago)

In the old days, I would have said Cooper On Handguns or Sixguns by Keith, but as good as those books are, I think we have to admit they're somewhat...dated.

At least those of us who are dated probably should, anyway... [image]

The other issue is price.

I'm not sure, but I think cheaper is probably better.

Is there a more or less up-to-date handgun primer you would recommend to 'new' shooters?

I haven't kept up with these things for years, so all my recommendations are...dated. :-D

TIA

--
[image]

Thunder Ranch has some good dvds but they aren't cheap

by stonewalrus, Monday, January 21, 2013, 20:54 (4270 days ago) @ FOG

Unless there is some sharing the costs going on.

Taffin's Sixgun Books nm

by esisk @, Monday, January 21, 2013, 20:57 (4270 days ago) @ FOG

Combat Shooting, Massad Ayoob?

by stonewalrus, Monday, January 21, 2013, 21:08 (4270 days ago) @ FOG

Nm

Looking for something really 'basic'...

by FOG, Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 10:26 (4269 days ago) @ FOG

But still informative and all-around.

For example, I recall how astounded I was when I first learned that a semi-automatic pistol actually fed cartidges from a box magazine contained in the grip (!) - I thought that was fantastic!

I recently witnessed a 'noob' have a similar experience when I was explaining the operation of and old-style SA revolver: He was pretty surprised there was 'something' left in the chamber after firing a cartridge in it.

Now, that might sound 'stupid' to some people, but I'd say we all have to start somewhere, and that place is usually the beginning.

In that nearly prehistoric and decidedly dim light, Cooper On Handguns was probably the best book of its type I ever read.

The problem is, I don't know of anything that can take its place for today's 'new' shooter.

--
[image]

For Noobs, Get Ayoob's "Handgun Primer" & "Gun Proof Your

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 10:39 (4269 days ago) @ FOG

Kids" booklets from Amazon or Police Book self. for a bit more advanced Tiger McKee's
"Book of Two Guns" is excellent. Basically one man's notes from all the major instructors & schools distilled into one book. Ayoob's In the "Gravest Extreme" is still timely and will guide a new gun owner in the use of force.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Combat Shooting, Massad Ayoob?

by BobM, Ohio, Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 16:43 (4269 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Good choice, a lot of info in that one.

RSS Feed of thread