Curio and Relics

by Mark, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 07:18 (4272 days ago)

Since NY has adopted the NY SAFE act, more questions than answers have come up. As i read it, there provisions in the law that protect firearms that are on the Curio and Relic list. As I understand it, any firearm 50 years or older is on the list. I am not sure what all that means to me and I hoping someone (perferably with a C&R license) can help. Can someone sum up that law in a few paragraphs? I have questions like: I know Armalite AR's are on the list. Some Colt AR's are 50 years old. Does that make them on the list? If so, why aren't they all listed but Armalite's are listed? MY High Standard Model A (I think it was made somewhere around 1940) is listed as a Collector. What is that? Are they different than C&R's?
I have never had to know what a C&R was (or is) and now I think I have to.
Thanks,
mark

Here's the acess to the lists and updates.

by MR, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 08:48 (4272 days ago) @ Mark

C&R only applies to those so licensed

by brionic @, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 10:44 (4272 days ago) @ Mark
edited by brionic, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 11:09

Even then, local laws may preclude 'standard' C&R purchases.

For example handgun purchases within certain restrictive states and districts are regulated more closely by locals than by BATFE.

A large number of dealers are unfamiliar with C&R regulations. Even then, establishing age of certain firearms can be complex, so that 'old gun' may not be transferrable under C&R unless seller is willing.

Circumvention is frowned upon. Bottom line is that the burden of proof is with you, individually, to follow the regs to the letter of the law.

Any questions about specifics are best referred directly to ATFE or a local attorney.

That said, the collector's license affords many benefits that far outweigh its cost and the work involved in ob/main-taining it.

NY used the term Curio and Relic in the new law

by cas, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 23:04 (4272 days ago) @ brionic

In reference to 50 years old for exemptions. I don't know that the C&R list itself actually enters into it. ( it may because of a screw up in how they wrote it but I'm sure it wasn't their intent)

The List

by JLF @, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 11:21 (4272 days ago) @ Mark

The list of specific firearms at the ATF web site is made up largely of guns that have been submitted for aproval as C&R by citizens over the years. So it is not inclusive. The end-all method is to submit your own gun for approval, which will net you a letter all your own. Otherwise, use their general guidelines found at the web site. If you think you can make your case in court, go for it.

JLF

Curio and Relics

by Mark, Saturday, January 19, 2013, 12:56 (4272 days ago) @ Mark

Thanks for the replies.
Mark

Which one am I, a curio or a relic...?

by AaronB, Monday, January 21, 2013, 07:25 (4270 days ago) @ Mark

NM

RSS Feed of thread