Ruger Scout Rifle

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 22:02 (4276 days ago)

Now going to be offered with an 18" barrel, kinda thinking I should have held off on the AR and went for one of those. Not that I am uncomfortable with the AR, trained with it for over 20 years, just prefer 30 Cal to 22 Cal.

Nothing says you can't have both

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 22:06 (4276 days ago) @ Dave B

cept the wife , maybe:-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Nothing says you can't have both

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 23:09 (4276 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! The house is getting some much needed attention. Apparently I need to go to the sandbox again.

Ruger Scout Rifle

by Otony, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 23:36 (4276 days ago) @ Dave B

I want one of the newer versions myownself.

Funny thing, not sure if any of y'all will remember this but a few years before the Ruger Scout rifle was introduced I proposed building a similar rifle using a 77 short action. I wanted a walnut or laminate stock, good peep sights, and chamber it to .308, sort of like a Scout but without the forward rail and detachable magazine.

There was not one positive post in regards to that idea, and I was soundly lectured on how unsuitable the 77 action was for any kind of accurate work. While it certainly isn't a match rifle action, the howls of disapproval made it sound no better than a '93 Mauser. Maybe worse:banghead:

Fast forward to the intro of the Scout rifle and all of a sudden the tune has changed. It is a light saber now, able to cut time and space. Who woulda thunk?

BTW Dave, this isn't directed at you. FYI, I have two each of the 3-round and 5-round mags coming from Brownells. I honestly would have preferred a conventional magazine, but the package is too useful to ignore. Just waiting for the longer tubed version to show up in left-hand and I am ready!

Otony

I wish I had grabbed a Frontier 77 When they

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 08:56 (4275 days ago) @ Otony

were easily available. I prefer the internal box magazine myself.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Ruger Scout Rifle

by Alfred John, Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 10:26 (4275 days ago) @ Dave B

Savage Arms was selling their 110 series(short action rifle) named it a Scout Rifle. Has synthetic stock and uses their own box magazine. Trigger on mine was too heavy. Got that fixed. shoots pretty good with ammo it likes. Found the Winchester Silver Tip superior than a couple other brands and didn't like The Federal Gold Medal Match. Military stuff, regular G.I. Ball and Match LC-62 it didn't like as well. Very Picky. Only likes the 150 grain W-W Silver Tips. Have tried any of the new Silver Tips. Low priced rifle as well. Just saying. ATB

Ruger Scout Rifle

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 10:35 (4275 days ago) @ Alfred John

I like the fact that the Ruger comes with a 1:10 twist barrel.

Internal box mag vs. detachable.

by FOG, Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 11:37 (4275 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I felt the same way until I got my Steyr Scout. I even thought detachable mags were a 'bad' idea when I was purchasing it.

Then, I took the gun afield for some walk-and-stalk ground squirrel hunting in the mountains. On a typical day, this might involve as many as 80 shots, all of which you 'had' to carry with you (or at least one might carry them). Under these conditions, I found the detachable mags vastly superior to the internal box type, and I was only using two of them, not a basket full.

So, for me, it was a 'lesson learned', as the facts thoroughly defeated my feelings on the matter. I would still probably say detachables are no advantage for things like big game hunting, but for all-around use I think they are at least worth considering (or trying).

Just to 'complete' the story, I should probably add that I had to give up 'big-bore' riflery a few years ago, so I no longer have my Steyr.

I thought about getting one in .223, but that just wouldn't do. :-D

--
[image]

Dave, buy a Ruger Scout Rifle, keep your AR and own

by AkRay, Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 13:35 (4275 days ago) @ Dave B

both. They each serve good needs and there's some overlap between them, but they're different enough that you should own one of each.

This is excellent advice....

by Byron, Thursday, January 17, 2013, 08:06 (4274 days ago) @ AkRay

[image]

Practical!

Byron

RSS Feed of thread