Price check on the Krag lane............

by Byron, Monday, January 14, 2013, 21:06 (4277 days ago)

A patient ask me today about an "old army rifle" he had obtained from his grandfathers estate....had it in his truck....

It is a .30/40 Krag rifle in unissued/unfired condition, nary a mark or chigger bite with a numbered bayonet.....kinda looks like its new....

I do not know anything about this stuff...

Please, a heads up...where to go for an idea on its value...this guy is flush and does not need money but is interested in selling the rifle....

Thanks in advance,

Byron

Don't know about values...

by Brian A, Monday, January 14, 2013, 21:17 (4277 days ago) @ Byron

But this page may help you identify it to make a proper appraisal. Exact model, variation and condition are very important to determine collector value. It sounds like a very interesting piece, there are fewer and fewer pristine examples of them every year.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/

by cubrock, Monday, January 14, 2013, 21:20 (4277 days ago) @ Byron

The model is very important in establishing value. With that said, a perfect Krag of any model is a deal at $1000 and goes up from there.

I've never heard of one with a bayonet numbered to it. A decent Krag bayo with scabbard is a hundred dollar bill. Being numbered to the gun makes me wonder if it used to belong to a state militia at one point, which might also explain the condition.

If numbered to match the gun it would a rack not a serial

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 06:51 (4276 days ago) @ cubrock

number. I would think an actual matching serial would be a coincidence. The army, reserve or otherwise, just doesn't work that way.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

A beater in my area

by Bud, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 08:31 (4276 days ago) @ Hobie

Denver is going for $800+. I've seen 'sporterized' ones go for that too. Sounds like this one is worth well over 1K.

by Charles, Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 09:22 (4276 days ago) @ Byron

If, it is indeed a mint Krag military rifle, it would be worth between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on all of the "depending" stuff.

RSS Feed of thread