Christmas cheer, reborn

by anachronism, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 20:15 (4669 days ago)

For as long as I can remember, my mom always made up a batch of Tom & Jerrys for the holidays. Everybody who could, checked in on Christmas eve, had chili or Oyster stew, a Tom & Jerry, and visited a bit. As my brothers & sisters grew, they moved away, one by one, to live their lives in greener pastures. After a while, the Christmas eve tradition died off because there was almost nobody left to share it with. Then mom developed alzheimers, and even the memories faded into obscurity. Mom passed away a couple of years ago. A little while ago, I stumbled across her Tom & Jerry batter recipe, and tonight I made a batch to share with the few family members left around here. Also, I made the batter in moms old Mixmaster from the early '70s, just like before. Now to make some phone calls...

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Really, I haven't even finished the one I alloted myself tonight.

Cheers!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 21:24 (4669 days ago) @ anachronism

nm

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Christmas cheer, reborn

by uncowboy, Thursday, December 22, 2011, 12:57 (4669 days ago) @ anachronism

Post the recepe please.

Delighted to share

by anachronism, Thursday, December 22, 2011, 19:34 (4668 days ago) @ uncowboy

Batter:
6-eggs
1-cup of powdered milk
6-cups of powdered sugar (1 large bag)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup + 2 tsp brandy

Mix together & let sit a little bit so everything gets acquainted.

On the side, mix 1 cup of brandy & 1 cup of rum together.
Boiling water

To serve mix:

1/4 cup of batter.
1/4 cup of the rum & brandy mix.
1/2 cup of boiling water.

You may want to adjust the booze to suit your tastes. 1/4 cup is a pretty stiff drink.

The world will take on a lovely glow by the time you're finished with the first one.

Have a magical Christmas!

RSS Feed of thread