FreeTagh! ~ Period-correct IWB for prewar Colt Woodsman

by FOG, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 22:03 (4283 days ago)
edited by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 00:30

(FreeTagh = Free To A Good Home!)

First, the 'facts':
• I know this holster 'fits' a prewar Colt 'Sport' Woodsman (I had one..Once...*SIGH*)
• I think it was made for the 'Target' Model with a 6-5/8" barrel
• It probably fits other, similar pistols (e.g., older High Standard's)

Next, the 'terms' (lol):
• The 'price' is ZERO ('free'), but you pay shipping
• First to post, 'I'll take it', gets it

Last, the 'details':

You can can send payment after receiving the holster.

I'd rather not shop for a shipping box, so I will use Priority Mail only. A 'Medium Flat Rate' box would probably be best (and definitely easiest for me), so that would be $11.35.

It would also be nice if you posted a pic of your 'new' holster & pistol together for all here to see, but that is optional.

I will be using this email address for this 'FreeTagh': kroiler AT live.com (for communication only: NO PAYPAL)

Good Luck! :-)

[image]

[image]

--
[image]

^^^ (REVISED, simplified 'terms') ^^^

by FOG, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 23:35 (4283 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 00:29

nm

^^^ (REVISED, simplified 'terms') ^^^

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 07:05 (4282 days ago) @ FOG

FOG
I will take it.

Tom Richardson
1054 CR 3510
Clarksville, AR 72830

Tom, he said "Good" home...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 08:52 (4282 days ago) @ Tom Richardson
edited by Rob Leahy, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 09:21

your excellent home should do nicely. I am looking forward to setting on your front porch again with friends.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

You got it, Tom...

by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 09:34 (4282 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

I will ship it soon, probably today.

I will also post a confirmation note once it's in the mail.

:-)

--
[image]

by Catoosa, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 07:30 (4282 days ago) @ FOG

That's a dandy, FOG. Any maker's ID? The material and workmanship, particularly the stitching, style, and belt clip looks a lot like an old, well-worn Mexican-made IWB holster I got a few years ago with a Smith&Wesson Terrier.

No maker's mark...

by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 09:38 (4282 days ago) @ Catoosa

I got it about 25 years ago out of the 'Dollar Bin' at Ron Peterson's gun shop in Albuquerque.

'Those were the days.' :-D

--
[image]

Very Familiar Holster

by Charles, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 10:43 (4282 days ago) @ FOG
edited by Charles, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 10:51

That holster is very familiar. It was made in Mexico and very popular down here on the border during the late 40's, 50s and into the 60's. They were for sale down here at many places, but the big importer was a fellow named Bernie Whitman. Bernie sold them through the mail and had ads in a number of gun magazine of the time. Bernie was a great guy and I knew him well. He principal business was Whitman's Army Store, which sold army surplus and was also a pawn shop that had lots of guns. He was also the local bail bondsman and ran several other business of which the importation and sale of these holsters was just one. My memory is a little foggy, but I think he sold these through a company called "Whitco". Toward the end of their popularity, they bore a small "Made In Mexico" cartouche on the back, but before that they were unmarked.

Bernie was a German Jew. His family got out of Germany early in the Nazi rule before the deporation to the camps started. They came to this country in the mid-30s and Bernie finished school here in the US. He came down here to the border during WWII and was a pillar of the local Jewish Temple and Masonic Lodge. He is gone now and I remember him with great fondness. He was a wheeler dealer from the headwaters, but his word was a good as gold. If you did business with Bernie you needed a sharp point on your pencil, but he never cheated anybody out of a dime.

Whitco is correct

by Norm, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 16:11 (4282 days ago) @ Charles

and many memories just came to mind. I ordered one of those for my dad, who carried a flat latch Chiefs Special every day at his restaurant. Saw it in a Guns Magazine in the early 60's and thought he would like it better than his pants pocket. He asked how he should wear is so I showed him a picture of the add, iwb appendix, a couple of inches to the right of his belt buckle. His old friend Charley Pickney was a constable who also owned a Texaco Station (16 cents a gallon, and I could sign the ticket) and always carried a 4" M&P in T3P under his jacket when in deputy mode, and mexican style cross draw under his green Texaco jacket at the gas station. He had me order one for him when he saw Dad's and carried it appendix, across his belly.

BTW they both loaded their revolvers with Remington 200 gr lead RN bullets.

Then there was time when another deputy came in, off duty and havingh ad a few drinks earlier, "insisting" that I trade him my then new 44 Ruger Deerstalker for his "magnum" which he "never used anymore". He'd brought a 3 1/2" 5 screw M27 in a cigar box to the restaurant late one night when we made the trade. Should seen the look on my Dad's face!

A bunch of Okla City police, Deputies, Highway Patrolmen (anybody recognize or remmber the name Dan Combs?)hung out at Dad's place late at night.

Thanks for the memories, guys!
Norm

Great info!

by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 19:34 (4282 days ago) @ Charles

And a really neat story.

Thanks! :-)

--
[image]

Very Familiar Holster

by Catoosa, Thursday, January 10, 2013, 21:51 (4281 days ago) @ Charles

Charles, thanks very much for that information. I've been wondering about this one I have. The gun it came with was very much carried, but clean and well cared for, and the holster was well made. It looked like a rig that had been carried many a day by someone who knew what he was about. It's one of those old guns that you wish could talk, and I still wonder how it came to be in a hock shop in Nashville, Tennessee.

No matter, it has a good home now - most of the time in my right front pants pocket. The holster is retired, but it's still treasured. Tom, I'll bring it with me in March to compare with yours.

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 15:39 (4282 days ago) @ FOG

Thank you FOG.
The holster will be in use and display in Clarksville, AR in March on the 22nd through the 24th.
CSA 20013 In Clarksville, AR

To get on the email list send one to Jason Freeman

jasonlfreeman@bellsouth.net

We will see you when.

Shipped!

by FOG, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 19:33 (4282 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Tom,

I shipped your holster this afternoon, so you should have it in hand by the weekend.

It's been too long in 'hiding', and I'm glad it's going to a good home!

Enjoy! :-)

PS: The box contains no letter, etc., but my return address is laser-printed on the shipping label.

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread