all volunteer military raises fears that a us warrior class

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, January 07, 2013, 09:40 (4284 days ago)

Fears of a Warrior Class developing in the US? A couple things: too late it's hear:-)
And What are "They" afraid of? ...probably a comeuppance...

http://azstarnet.com/news/national/all-volunteer-military-raises-fears-that-a-us-warrio...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

all volunteer military raises fears that a us warrior class

by Charles, Monday, January 07, 2013, 18:03 (4284 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I read that, but didn't get the idea that "fear" meant they were afraid of anything. I saw that as a concern. This nation was founded with the notion of the citizen soldier, the Minuteman if you will. The early founders didn't want a professional standing army, but the War of 1812 changed their mind about that and they decided they needed a small core of professional soldiers with the bulk of the load to be carried by volunteers during times of need. The various National Guards and Reserves carry on the tradition of the citizen soldier.

With the end of the draft, it now looks like we have families whose business for several generations is career military service. Many countries have had this for a very long time, but it is a little at odds with the way we have seen such things as Americans.

I don't think this trend is anything anybody is afraid of. It is just a change in society that needs to be noted. "Times they are a changing".

WE are the 1%...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, January 07, 2013, 19:08 (4284 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Seriously, they banned the draft which made all their kids wooses (whooses?) and now they're upset because the 1% who volunteers for such things continues to volunteer and sees themselves as different from the lazy, pot-smoking, do-nothings, risk-nothings that are the other 99%. It is to be expected.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Yep classic case of the sheep failing the test...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, January 07, 2013, 19:23 (4284 days ago) @ Hobie

can't tell a wolf from a sheep dog...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The 1 percent

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, January 07, 2013, 21:12 (4284 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That would be wussy

by esisk @, Monday, January 07, 2013, 20:02 (4284 days ago) @ Hobie

:-D

Thank you...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, January 07, 2013, 21:33 (4284 days ago) @ esisk

:-D

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

More polarization of America....

by Byron, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 08:21 (4283 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 14:48

I recently saw an issue of the comsymp rag "Newsweek" detailing the polarization of America in regard to the military. When you live with it everyday you can't see the forest for the trees. Everyone here in Leavenworth has connection to the military, same in Fayetteville or Oceanside.

The article detailed a poll in an affluent part of Chicago and had to go the 148 different housed to find anyone who knew anyone in the service.

The Army and Marines are at war. America is at the mall.

Byron

More polarization of America....

by Charles, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 12:08 (4282 days ago) @ Byron

During the days of Empire, the British held the rank and file soldier in great distain, but "It's the thin red line of heros, when the drums begin to roll", or so said Kipling in his poem Tommy. With military service being the career choice of fewer and fewer people and families, expect those not so inclined to look down their noses at those that do. But it will be "God bless and keep OUR boys and girls, when the shit hits the fan.".

Human nature often is not pretty..well seldom is it pretty.

RSS Feed of thread