Ruger OMSBH Question

by FOG, Saturday, January 05, 2013, 11:21 (4286 days ago)

A friend of mine recently inherited an Old Model Super Blackhawk, and he asked me to take a look at it for him because it was "jammed."

The gun has a 5-digit S/N and is in excellent condition, but it does have a problem: The base pin all too easily flops out of line when it is withdrawn.

If it simultaneously rotates part way around -- which it does every time -- then the relief cut on the flange of the base pin goes with it, and the flange wedges itself against the bottom of the barrel.

The base pin is left hanging at a downward angle and can only be removed by force (e.g., a light tap with a mallet) after first removing the ejector rod assembly.

Of course, the cylinder cannot be rotated nor the hammer cocked with the gun in this condition, so it is indeed effectively "jammed."

This problem appears to be caused by an undersize base pin, excessive tolerances in forward aperture in the frame, ot both.

Will a Belt Mountain base pin 'cure' it? I've never used one or seen the problem described here occur, so I don't really know if it is likely to or not.

I've only heard that Base Mountain base pins are well made and, I believe, "oversize" relative to the factory part, hence my question.

TIA

--
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread