Rock Island Armory 1911's: Any Good?

by Drago, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 17:00 (4669 days ago)

I've seen a lot of good reviews on the web, but I don't know those people. I know you guys. What're your opinions on the RIA? I'm thinking of their G.I. version.

Rock Island : I would save my money. Get A SR1911 or a Rem

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 17:23 (4669 days ago) @ Drago

The SR1911 will be easy to save for , because it will be several more months before they are caught up:-( ...And the new Colt's are better than ever.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Rock Island : I would save my money. Get A SR1911 or a Rem

by Drago, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 17:42 (4669 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The Colt I can get, but the SR1911 and the Remingtions aren't "approved" here behind enemy lines.:-(

Well, you just jhave to 'Settle" then won't you

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 17:49 (4669 days ago) @ Drago

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I've sold a bunch of Rock Islands. Never had any problems

by edwardyoung, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 18:35 (4669 days ago) @ Drago

If you are looking for a good, reliable 1911 with the best customer support you will probably never need, at a good price, there's no reason not to get the Rock Island. Any part for a 'real' 1911 will work in a Rock Island. It will probably require no more fitting than in the 'real' 1911. All that being said, a used Rock Island will probably never be worth more than $450. I don't like them because of the spray-on finish or parkerizing instead of a real blue finish. Of course, that's why I've never bought the few used Wilson Combat guns I've had a chance to buy(the times when I could have afforded it). I guess I'm a Colt snob at heart, and that's probably why I've never kept any of the Rock Islands I've owned. I've never had one fail, though, while I owned one. Long-winded reply, but that's my style, I guess. Just don't put a set of wrap-around rubber Hogues on it - that goes for any 1911, as far as I'm concerned, though. One strong argument in their favor - for me, anyway - is that they don't have a Series 80-type firing pin safety like a lot of other 'good' 1911 pattern pistols have. Post pictures of whatever your end up with.

or buy a Kimber or SpringfieldArmory right now

by bj @, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 20:09 (4669 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

nt

Rock Island Armory 1911's: Any Good?

by Charles, Friday, December 23, 2011, 10:36 (4668 days ago) @ Drago
edited by Charles, Friday, December 23, 2011, 10:41

The 1911 design is a very popular pistol and folks will generally think what they own is the best. The truth is there are many good 1911s out there. I have owned over 20 during the span of the last 50 years. Today I only own three.

1. Colt GM (2005 vintage) a very good pistol.
2. 2 Norinco 1911A1s and they are very good pistols

I owned a Springfield GI and was not happy with it, but many folks seem to like them quit well.

For bottom end 1911s, the Taurus and Ruger get consistent good reviews and I have fired both and like them well. This is where I would look, if I were looking for a low end 1911.

On the high end the Kimber, Colt and Smith and Wesson all are popular for for just reason. They are very good pistols.

If I were going to buy a new high end 1911 it would be a Colt, just because it is a Colt.

There is no way, I would part with the money for one of these super premium custom or semi-custom 1911s. Even if I had the money, I would not pay that much for a 1911.

The RIA is made in the Philippines and I know nothing more about it. I have handled and disassembled one of the new Remingtons and it seems to be a well made pistol.

I have a Rock Island

by Bud, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 09:59 (4667 days ago) @ edwardyoung

When it fist came out got it for $229 !! It was to be a toolbox 1911, tractor gun, roll around in the bottom of the boat gun, but damned it that gun wouldn't shoot. My son can pop match heads off at 20 yds with that damn thing. You can knock 100 yd rams off the stands like its a rifle. We've had zero problems with it........and now I want to get the target model RI, but the price has gone up over 5 bills forone. Sure like to get the new Ruger 1911...but if I see a good deal on a Target RI...she's going home with me.

RSS Feed of thread