Atlas, GAF, Owens Corning shingles?

by esisk @, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 18:25 (4288 days ago)

Due to Tornado damage need new roof, any real difference in the major brands?

Pounded a few nails in my time.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 04, 2013, 07:17 (4287 days ago) @ esisk

I think installation is more important than brand. Pick a color, "warranty" (15 year, 20 year, etc.) and price you like and get good workers to put 'em on.

There was a point in time that metal roofing was compe-

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, January 04, 2013, 08:08 (4287 days ago) @ esisk

titively priced compared to shingles because the cause of shingles has gone way up. If you want a roof that will last a lifetime or two, that's the way to go. Might not be true today, but if you put it on before the crazy inflation we'll likely soon see you might be WAY ahead. Are you doing it yourself or contracting out the work?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Next spring I am putting a sheet metal roof on my house...

by Byron, Friday, January 04, 2013, 14:06 (4287 days ago) @ Hobie

I KNOW that you've done the math. When I last did my

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, January 04, 2013, 20:22 (4287 days ago) @ Byron

house it was way more expensive relative to shingles but I was about to redo my mother's house and not only was it as good a buy over 25 years you can expect 50+ years out of it. A nearby neighbor has a metal roof installed pre-1860 that is still tight.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

There was a point in time that metal roofing was compe-

by esisk @, Friday, January 04, 2013, 22:37 (4287 days ago) @ Hobie

I quit hunting from trees when I hit 40, so at 62 I am staying off the roof. Having a local roofing contractor do the work. He has business licence and insurance (not a gypsy) says he has used the same 4 guys on his crew since he started. Hoping to retire and move back to Missouri in a few years so don't need a 50 year roof, but will go with a 30-35 year shingle. Insurance going to cover most of the cost.

RSS Feed of thread