Freedom Arms 454

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 17:21 (4289 days ago)

How much harm will I cause if I shoot 45 Colt shells in my 454? I remember reading Paco's old articles, and if memory serves, he did this quite frequently. I clean religiously after shooting, and the only reason I ask, is I have a lot more large pistol primers than I do small rifle, and right now they are a little tough to get locally.

Dave

I've done it with mine. Just remember....

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 17:48 (4289 days ago) @ Dave B

...with those tight FA chambers, it doesn't take much to build-up.

So it's just the residue

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 17:54 (4289 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

Building up at the end of the chamber that I have to worry about? That is due to the pressure spikes it can cause if I remember correctly.

So it's just the residue

by AkRay, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 19:25 (4289 days ago) @ Dave B

Dave, I'd try to keep using Casull length brass in the gun. I have one that the previous owner shot a lot of 45 Colt in and had a heck of a time trying to get the carbon and probably lead build up out. I think the smooth polish inside the chamber gets affected too by firing too, and is rougher past the end of the 45 Colt case.

Same problem with 38spl's in 357

by Bud, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 09:43 (4288 days ago) @ AkRay

I pretty much don't shoot 357 in my wimpy DA's (except GP100's) anymore....just 38's. Shoot 357's in SA's only.

Thank you one and all.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 13:30 (4288 days ago) @ AkRay

I will continue to shoot 454 brass until my primer supply gets to an uncomfortable level, and I am unable to purchase more. I would say 90% of the bullets that will go downrange, will be my 270-SAA over Unique, a nice comfortable load that is accurate, and has a lot of utility here in New Mexico, or the lower 48 for that matter.

Dave B

posted here years ago

by bj @, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 21:20 (4288 days ago) @ Dave B

There was a story that Freedom Arms insisted on replacing a cylinder at great cost due to chamber pitting caused by firing the shorter cartridges. It didn't make sense to me and I wondered if there was more to the story but in any event it would make sense to clean your chambers carefully after use.

Never heard that story...

by Bud, Friday, January 04, 2013, 08:15 (4287 days ago) @ bj

They heat treat the whole cylinder. Can't imagine why 17PH stainless would pit.

RSS Feed of thread