Cow Elk meat hunt in Texas

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 08:57 (4292 days ago)

Big critter for sure, a protein fed elk. She was as big as most of the adult bulls. I don't know the live weight, guessing 600 - 700. They killed a cow elk there last year that went 975.

I used my Smith & Wesson 629 classic, 44 magum, and through a screw up on my part the only ammo I had along used a Hornady 240 XTP bullet. I was disappointed in the performance of the Hornady XTP bullet, should have stuck with a hard cast bullet. The XTP came apart and didn't penetrate well.

First shot hit the shoulder, broke the shoulder but only tiny fragments went into the chest cavity. Second shot hit the crease of skin behind the shoulder. Same thing, the bullet broke up and did not penetrate. But the cow wasn't going anywhere so I got closer and put one in her neck, broke the spine and she went down like a sack of potatoes.

[image]

[image]

by woody, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 09:47 (4292 days ago) @ Warhawk
edited by woody, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 16:03

Looks like a big cow!!! The 240 XTP is an awesome whitetail bullet. Shot quite a few deer with it in the 44. Never recoved one yet. But as you mentioned probably better off with a hard cast. I have never hunted elk but would use a cast if I did.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 10:52 (4292 days ago) @ woody

I've been using Keith loads on feral hogs for the last couple of years, and intended to use them this time. But I went off and left a box of Keith loads and a box of heavy hard cast bullets at home. I was lucky to have any 44 ammo with me at all.

Left Ammo at home? That's never happened to me...very much!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 11:10 (4292 days ago) @ Warhawk

Nice elk! And handgunned no less! Got the youngsters there too. 300 XTPs come to mind as does the excellent 310 Kieth that I used while in AK...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Left Ammo at home? That's never happened to me...very much!

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 16:19 (4292 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Those are my two 9 year old grandsons. Their dad came along too.

Next time I go will be with my son, in the spring when he gets home from A-Stan.

by Jared, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 18:20 (4292 days ago) @ Warhawk

Nice Elk. What part of the state were you hunting?

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 19:20 (4292 days ago) @ Jared

Near Strawn

by Jared, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 19:53 (4292 days ago) @ Warhawk

I like that area between Fort Worth and Abiline. Roger and I had a great hog hunt around Winters a few years ago.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 20:49 (4292 days ago) @ Jared

Comtact David Blessing at the Guest Ranch, top notch operation with reasonable prices.

www.guest-ranch.com

by Jared, Monday, December 31, 2012, 21:24 (4291 days ago) @ Warhawk

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check them out.

Good show Sir!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 04, 2013, 07:25 (4287 days ago) @ Warhawk

Any elk taken with a pistol is a prize.

Good show Sir!

by uncowboy, Saturday, January 05, 2013, 03:38 (4286 days ago) @ Hoot

The 300 gr XTP in 44 work well I had the same bullet failure with the 240 grainers. Have not had a 300 grainer fail yet, Nice Elk. J.Michael

Thanks for the confirmation about the 240 XTP

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, January 05, 2013, 12:43 (4286 days ago) @ uncowboy

... I usually go with a hard cast bullet, but it's good to have options. I *WILL* be going back to this ranch for other hunts. Next on the agenda will be either a feral hog or a red deer cow meat hunt.

RSS Feed of thread