9mm finishing off rounds for deer?

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 21:51 (4296 days ago)

Yes, I know 9 mm wouldn't be the first choice but it's what my brother has to use. He will never hunt with ut, just maybe pop a deer in the back of the head with it after he's downed it with his 7mm 08.

9mm finishing off rounds for deer?

by Jhenry, Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 22:00 (4296 days ago) @ stonewalrus

That close, any 9mm will work just fine.

Doubt he'll need it....

by Bud, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 09:12 (4295 days ago) @ Jhenry

I've shot a many a critter with the 7/08...never needed a finisher.

Just slit the throat.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 10:36 (4295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

No!

by Byron, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 11:53 (4295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I know that is the way that Grandpa did it but that does not make it right....

A wounded deer is extremely dangerous...deer attacks kill more Americans than bears...

Unless it is clear the animal will not live more than another minute a pistol shot from behind at the base of the skull is appropriate....

.22 is plenty for that.....

Please note that I am not adverse to danger...do plenty of dangerous stuff that really is unneccessaray....still....I like to know what I am getting into, the deck stacked and pick the battles real carefully....just don't walk up flat footed....

No stabbing deer...unless that is how you are hunting them.....

Some years ago, Mr. Linebaugh told me about hunting big boars in the South....they ran them with dogs until they came to bay and then waded in and stabbed the pig to death with a Bowie knive...John said it did not get any more exciting than that...

Byron

Done that - not pleasant

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 12:12 (4295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'd have to agree with Byron - I had a "looks dead" deer come back to life. Much prefer 357 to knife fight!

I had a little incident a couple of years ago

by Cannon @, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 13:27 (4295 days ago) @ Byron

that cured me of any desire to kill a deer with a knife.

I was helping my brother-in-law follow up a deer we knew would be dead when we found it. He had put an arrow through the chest 2 hours earlier, and there were large puddles of blood, complete with chunks of lung. The fact it might still be alive didn't occur to us until we shined our spotlight into a little patch of woods to see it lying right along the property line with its head up looking at us.

To make a long story short, I ended up on its head, with a knee on each beam, and Billy on its back with a knife. When he stuck the knife in that deer, it decided it was going to stand up, and almost succeeded. Things got kind of exciting for a few seconds.

[image]

Yeah, now that you guys mention it, I have had the old

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, December 27, 2012, 13:43 (4295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

"dead" deer come suddenly to life. Pissed off and blood in his eyes...after my .22 failed to fire...knife fight ensued...9mm ball will work for a coup de gras.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread