My Colt Systema jams via the firing pin

by Bob Hatfield @, Tuesday, December 25, 2012, 08:44 (4297 days ago)

When I dry fire and the firing pin is driven forward until it sticks out of the slide and stays there. Then when you try to chamber a round the firing pin is sticking out enough to make the round not being controlled fed. When it happens I reach in and push on the pin and it snaps back through the firing pin stop. By the way when this occurs the firing pin stop drops down sometimes exacerbating the proble. I've polished the firing pin like a mirror, but the tapered part is what is causing it to stick. I'm thinking the firing pin spring is too weak?

Bob

fpin spring is toast. should be replaced w/ the same wgt

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, December 25, 2012, 09:37 (4297 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

spring as the recoil spring. Wilson sells em packaged that way. Bluepress.com should be easy to find.Don't carry it with that weak spring...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

fpin spring is toast. should be replaced w/ the same wgt

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 04:36 (4296 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Seems like I put a Wolff package in the gun about 10 years ago. But knowing me I probably said to myself. "They aint nothing wrong with my firing pin spring" and threw it in a box of gun parts. So I'll look around for it.

Thanks

Bob

OH, that can be bad, a stiff recoil spring and a weak firing

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 11:35 (4296 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

pin spring set you up for a slam fire should the gun get dropped. Not that YOU would ever drop a gun...but, it has been known to happen.:-);-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

My Colt Systema jams via the firing pin

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 07:25 (4296 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

New f/p spring - Wolff extra power if you have one - they come in the Wolff kits. Also, while you have the f/p retainer out, you might take a small prick punch and raise a couple of burrs on the front side of it, on either side of the hole, so's it fits tight (light tap-in fit) and won't drop down.

For that matter, an oversize f/p retainer from Brownell's isn't very expensive and will cure the problem for sure. Helps keep the extractor from clocking as well. Will need fitting to the slide, but that's not difficult. Fixed my old Commander up nicely a few years back.

RSS Feed of thread