Where has all the 22 ammo gone?

by Charles, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 16:13 (4304 days ago)

I went to Walmart today to buy some 22 ammo for Saturdays match. There was not a single round in the store, although they had plenty of centerfire stuff.

Next stop was Academy and the same story.

I drove 30 miles north to Bass Pro and found some. I bought all the bulk pack ammo they had (3 boxes). They had one box of wood box Winchester left, but I passed on it. They had maybe a thousand rounds of high end 50 rnd boxes and that was all in 22 LR

I checked a couple of online sellers and both of them are "out of stock".

Is this another round of Obama panic?

The panic is in effect. How it is expressed seems to be a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 16:32 (4304 days ago) @ Charles

regional thing.

I was told, please bear in mind those words, that one distributor had 4000 Glock 19s on hand has Thursday and they were sold out on Monday. At least one distributor limited all accounts to no more than 2 of each BRAND of AR-15 type rifle and was likewise, selling out. 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammo is selling rather briskly in our area. I sold 5 cases yesterday. Our shop sold 18 AR-15s in the past 4 days. Customers range in age from 22 to 85, of all races, mostly of the lower level economic groups (because they hadn't bought theirs earlier I think), and even include Obama supporters (according to the bumper stickers still adorning their cars). Rumors abound, I heard all sorts of things that don't seem to have been reported anywhere. Yes, there is a panic.

FWIW I just wrote my federal reps...

"Given recent events we are moved to write you about what will obviously be a push for "gun" control. We must point out that despite the supposedly 5th strictest controls in the country, the Sandy Hook shooter was able to steal his mother's rifle, pistols, and (apparently) other firearms as well as her car after murdering her to commit the acts which have inflamed the nation. That he was obviously insane enough to have murdered his own mother seems to have NOT been considered important.

We believe that the truth is that "gun" control is not the aim of firearms ownership restrictions but rather PEOPLE control. I am therefore opposed to further restrictions on the ownership of firearms.

We will expect you to vote against any bills enacting further restrictions and will work against any candidate for any public office who supports such acts.

What is needed is comprehensive medical reform, other than the so-called Obamacare, which ensures that mentally ill people with a tendency to violence such as purportedly exhibited by Alan Lanza be hospitalized and treated. This is not what is being done now.

"

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by bmize, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 17:20 (4304 days ago) @ Charles

It is a panic again.
Friday after 3pm my buddy did 47k. Saturday he did 67k. Monday he was out of stock on most everything.
Like Hobie said, distrubutors are limiting almost everything.
We have 2 distributors in B'ham, you can't get a phone call in to either, just a busy siginal.

They can't answer the phones and they're computer

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 18:41 (4304 days ago) @ bmize

systems are overcome by volume.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 21:01 (4304 days ago) @ Charles

I found a 22/45 LITE at Academy Sports on Monday, but they only had a few boxes of 22LR ammo in stock. They had a little left when I was finished.

Stopped in a Wal Mart today and they had exactly zero 22LR in stock.

The lady in front of me had an ammo list ...

38 Special hollow point (bought all they had)
12 ga 2 3/4 inch buckshot (bought all they had)
223 (they were out)
30-06 (2 boxes left, she bought both)
7mm Mag (out)
45 ACP(out)
30-30 (out)
22 LR (out)

They had lots of steel shot and a little bit of odds and ends left, 17 HMR, 22 Mag, some 40 S%W and some hunting rifle stuff.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 09:58 (4303 days ago) @ Charles

I bought 1650 rounds of Federal HPs last week BEFORE all the crap hit the fan. It was all they had. My buddy in the Wallyworld sporting goods department told me Friday they were expecting a big shipment of Federal .22 bulk that night, and she didn't expect it to last through the weekend.

I'll bet I could pave the path to the dog pen with the Glocks I saw going out the door at the Murfreesboro show last Sunday. It would do to remember Isoroku Yamamoto's words when he was asked about the feasability of invading the U.S. mainland; "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

RSS Feed of thread