I don't formally hunt much anymore, so it seems

by jerry b, Monday, December 19, 2011, 10:40 (4672 days ago)

reasonable to simplify my rifle needs. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd hunt off premises, and the longest shot I can imagine in these woods is, maybe, 70 yards. I don't know why a trusty .45 Colt Marlin wouldn't do everything I needed done, slaying vermin in my small pastures, occasionally putting venison in the freezer, and defending the homestead. I've been simplifying for awhile, and this feels like an area I can make some cuts.

What do youz guys think?

by Bud, Monday, December 19, 2011, 11:05 (4672 days ago) @ jerry b

Can't dispute your thinking, but a 30/30 or 35Rem would be my choice...not that there is anything wrong with the 45LC. I'd keep a Ruger Bisley 45 on hand for opportunity type stuff. the 30/30 for serious stuff.

Agreed...

by Sarge, Monday, December 19, 2011, 18:00 (4671 days ago) @ Bud

The 30 WCF, sighted properly, takes all the mystery put of unexpected shots at 150+ yards, where the .45 Colt levergun begins to work your tail off figuring trajectories. We have shot them side by side here.

Some of these buys adore their .357 carbines and I read that it's possible to crowd 2000 fps with them. THAT should make for a flatter shooting, all-around pistofile that is cheap to shoot- not to mention all kinds of fun.

I also agree

by anachronism, Monday, December 19, 2011, 20:32 (4671 days ago) @ Sarge

but I lean towards the 30/30, which can be a dandy cast bullet gun too, if you're so inclined. I know microgroove barrels can do well with cast, but it seems to take some fussing to get there.

Good points from both of yous

by Bud, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 14:48 (4670 days ago) @ anachronism

the 30/30 will take game, easily, out past 200 yds. Even though the gun scribes say otherwise. It is the best CB shooter I've ever owned....and I shoot CBs is dang near everything, including ole military O3A3's, Mauser 8mm, Brit 303's, Rem RB 43 Spanish, Nagants, etc. Microgroove doesn't seem to be an issue with the GC CB's I use sized to .309.

Agreed...

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 06:56 (4671 days ago) @ Sarge

If I stay on my own property (extremely likely since I have deer galore), there is no place I could possible see beyond 70-80 yards for a shot. I'm no fan of the .357 in a handgun, but I like the .45 Colt in large-frame Rugers....A .45 Colt makes more sense than a .357, I think. The exception would be the .30-30 or .35 Rem. Food for thought.

Agreed...

by rob @, Thursday, December 22, 2011, 22:22 (4668 days ago) @ Sarge

I've hit 1900 through my chrono with 180 Rem SJHP's and Lil'Gun but case life is once time, maybe two. My headspace is slightly better than average but tightening it would help. Easy to do for someone willing to take the time. Mic's book Accurizing The Factory Rifle gives very clear instruction on fitting a new locking block. Me, I just dropped back to 15 grains and 1660 fps. Shoots flat to 150 yards. Any more than that and I would sure go for the 30-30.

or a .357 mag Marlin

by bj @, Monday, December 19, 2011, 13:03 (4671 days ago) @ jerry b

There are a lot of rifles and cartridges that would fill the bill. We think in terms of short leverguns but a bolt action .30-06 with low power scope would also work, or a good shotgun with the right sights and ammo.

You mention .45Colt Marlin, which will do also, although I think other cartridges have an edge past 50 yards. If you happen to have the Marlin already, or you happen to want one for some reason, there is no reason why it wouldn't work for you.

Thanks.

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 07:02 (4671 days ago) @ bj

nm

by RangerBob, Monday, December 19, 2011, 13:41 (4671 days ago) @ jerry b

Traded an SKS for a .45 Colt Puma. Took a small buck with it this year. The range was short, but it worked fine.

I can shoot the Puma a lot better than the SKS, it holds the same number of shots, and it seems to be perfectly adequate on 150lb creatures . . . . and it looks like a harmless cowboy gun.

It works for me.

Yeah.

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 07:00 (4671 days ago) @ RangerBob

nm

by Gary G, Monday, December 19, 2011, 20:48 (4671 days ago) @ jerry b

What might you be thining Jerry? That the Marlin would be taking the place of?

KISS.....

by Byron, Monday, December 19, 2011, 21:33 (4671 days ago) @ jerry b

[image]

This and 10,000 rounds of cheap ammo should keep you going for a while...

Byron

KISS.....

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 06:45 (4671 days ago) @ Byron

Not for me. Semi rifles are illegal for hunting here. And (don't flame me here) I have zero interest in military weaponry, new or old.

Its all good....

by Byron, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 16:42 (4670 days ago) @ jerry b

nm

by woody, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 04:39 (4671 days ago) @ jerry b

How about a shotgun? A nice 20 ga. could cover all your needs.

HA. I have an old 20 ga bolt gun. Maybe I should

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 06:50 (4671 days ago) @ woody

really keep it simple and go for my old .22 and a Mossberg bolt shotgun. A hundred dollar battery:-D . Frankly, include a double action revolver of some sort and I probably wouldn't be missing anything except style.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 10:07 (4671 days ago) @ woody

The 20 ga. bolt gun. A classic do it all gun.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I reckon. When but a small lad, long before I got

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 12:58 (4670 days ago) @ Hobie

high fallootin', I did it all with this bolt gun. I didn't know pheasants wouldn't die if shot with such a contraption, and a 20 at that. I just went out and shot pheasants, grouse, and whatnot, and got rather good at it. As soon as I went on to real fowling weaponry, my shooting went down hill and has never come back.

So much for high fallootin'.

Bolt 20 ga

by Bud, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 14:29 (4670 days ago) @ jerry b

My Dad got me a "Western Field" 20 ga bolt gun when I was 11. I got dang deadly with that ugly gun. Got a notion to purchase a $3500 Beretta O/U one time...took it out dove hunting and didn't hit a bird all morning. Lucky for me, my ole bolt 20 was behind my truck seat. Didn't miss another bird the rest of the day.

Bolt 20 ga

by woody, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 18:55 (4670 days ago) @ Bud

and a 20 ga with slugs kills deer might nicely!!! That way you have the best of both worlds shot and slugs.

You can't get much simpler...

by cr, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 20:26 (4670 days ago) @ jerry b

...than a Lymans Great Plains .54 with patched round ball.

I think you have a great point, but

by jerry b, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 20:42 (4670 days ago) @ cr

I have never reconciled myself to the cleanup needed for black powder. I am probably all wrong about this, though. It would really get back to the basics, and has appeal.

I think you have a great point, but

by Catoosa, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 22:46 (4670 days ago) @ jerry b

About three years ago, just for grins, I bought a Marlin 12 gauge bolt action for $75 at a local hock shop. I cut the barrel to 18 1/2 inches, JB-welded some sights on it, added a sling and bought an extra box magazine. After filing the sights in, that gun will put three slugs in a cloverleaf right on the bead at 25 yards. It will also put a load of sixes or #4 buck into a useful pattern at the same distance. It weighs about six pounds, and when carried by the pistol grip the muzzle doesn't even touch the ground. In the unlikely event something should break on it, it could be fixed with hand tools and parts from my junk pile.

The ultimate "survival" weapon, for a total cost of less than $100. They ain't fancy, but bolt guns ROCK!

I'm glad we had this conversation...

by Bud, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 10:57 (4670 days ago) @ Catoosa

I've always been a bit ashamed of my ole bolt gun, even though after owning it for 52 years its still in excellent shape and I never miss with it. I surely like what Catoosa did with his bolt gun.....and will be on the lookout for a rig to the exactly what he did. Wouldn't want to change anything about my ole friend I got when I was 11 yrs old.

Me, too. My ole 20 has lots of wear to the stock finish,

by jerry b, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 11:32 (4669 days ago) @ Bud

and the bluing is sparse, but I carried that thing all over the hills for years. I may be going full circle, which won't be bad....my Remington .22 and my Mossberg 20....and a .45 Colt BH, of course:-).

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 22, 2011, 10:40 (4669 days ago) @ Bud

Bud, if you are planning to come to CSA next spring, I will make it a point to bring my Po'Boy slug gun for show 'n tell. I got the inspiration for it from a Cajun "boat gun" I once saw.

Marlin actually made a similar version of their Model 55 for a couple of years. They called it the "Swamp Gun"

by Bud, Saturday, December 24, 2011, 10:08 (4667 days ago) @ Catoosa

I surely want to come to CSA....never have made the trip. Mostly due to not having any leave time. But I retire and just a few days....and sure would like to come meet all you good folks.

RSS Feed of thread