S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel

by stonecoldrc, Saturday, December 15, 2012, 18:28 (4307 days ago)

[image]

This was an old Model 10 heavy barrel that had been through some bad times with me some years ago. I pretty much stopped using it because the blueing was bad, some pits, and dents/nicks from being carried in tough conditions. Mechanically it was fine. I decided to send it off to Gary Reeder for a matte finish black chromex and new laminate grips. This is what came back. To say I am completely satisfied would be an understatement. Now it is ready for another life (hopefully an easier one). I am proud of this revolver. I already have one of Rob's Sourdoughs that fits it.

by Catoosa, Saturday, December 15, 2012, 20:42 (4307 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

No better utility sidearm, IMHO, than a HB M10. I have two of them, one that I've had for years and another that I found in a pile of tradeins on a dealer's table at a show and bought just because it was priced right and had a wonderful trigger. Both have "character" but are mechanically perfect.

Anytime someone asks me "what kind of a pistol should I get?", I always recommend a Model 10. Easy to shoot well and tough as an anvil.

That's a beauty. Like those grips!

just about any 3" to 4" K-frame would do

by bj @, Saturday, December 15, 2012, 21:54 (4307 days ago) @ Catoosa

Many years ago I had bought a 4" Charter Arms for such use. I was not happy with the construction and figured out that a 4" model 19 or model 66 was what I was really looking for even if it was a little heavier. That was maybe 30 years ago but I think it is still true today.

For outdoor use I don't know why the gun's appearance mattered so much although that photo does look great. I had a friend that found a M27 in a lake. The outside looked horrible with rust and lots of pitting, but the gun shot reasonably well so he cleaned it up and kept it.

by Josh M., Sunday, December 16, 2012, 17:47 (4306 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Do you mind telling us what you spent?
Looks nice - so that's a black hard chrome finish?

by stonecoldrc, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 12:55 (4304 days ago) @ Josh M.

Josh M. I spent nearly 300 dollars, but for me this was worth it to get this gun back to better than original shape. Sorry to be late, but I have been away from computers for several days.

by Josh M., Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 17:25 (4304 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Doesn't seem out of line to me.
Looks very nice - chromex - is that a plating, or a baked on finish?

My second handgun, my first revolver.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, December 17, 2012, 19:00 (4305 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Mine was "cosmetically challenged" but only $140. It served me well, taught me about 'revolvering' and reloading and now belongs to my eldest son.

You're throwing a hankerin' on me for another...

Nice lookin 10 there.

by DiamondD, Monday, December 17, 2012, 22:02 (4305 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Very nice

That gun is ALL business... but it looks good, too.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 21:14 (4304 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread