Well, I didn't find the Redhawk, but I did bring home...

by anachronism, Saturday, December 17, 2011, 20:25 (4673 days ago)

an early production S&W Mountain Gun in 44 mag. I knew a guy wanting to buy a big gas generator, and I had an 8000 watt Coleman in the garage that I had bought 8 years ago and never had to use. The guy had the Mountain Gun since it was new but he rarely shot it because he didn't like the recoil. He even had it Mag-na-ported to try to make it work for him. Finally he stuck it in the safe and moved on. I'll have to be nice to it because it was built prior to S&Ws "magnum improvement" program. I'm thinking Lyman 429244 loaded to about 1000 fps ought to be about right.

Sounds like a good deal to me, and 429421 @ 1000 is good..

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, December 17, 2011, 21:28 (4673 days ago) @ anachronism

or the one you have.

How early? Is it the dull finish or bright stainless?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, December 17, 2011, 22:37 (4673 days ago) @ anachronism

The dull finish is supposed to be Metelife over stainless.
[image] The Top MG is of that vintage. Just curious. Good find Bob!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

How early? Is it the dull finish or bright stainless?

by anachronism, Saturday, December 17, 2011, 23:17 (4673 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Dull finish. 629-2. Mine doesn't say "Mountain Gun" on it either. Just like your top revolver. A local gun shop has a 625-8 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, but I just can't swing it and still make a respectable showing for Christmas.

BTW, if anyone wants a 625-8 45 Colt Mountain...

by anachronism, Sunday, December 18, 2011, 11:15 (4673 days ago) @ anachronism

Revolver, Scheels in Lincoln, NE has a slightly used one for $580.00, which seems really reasonable to me. I can get you a phone number if you're interested.

by Mark @, Sunday, December 18, 2011, 07:17 (4673 days ago) @ anachronism

Good choice. Redhawks seem to be easier to find than early MG's. I like the 429244 (with or without gas checks) over 7.5 of WW231. You might need 8.0-8.5 to get to 1000 fps in 4 inches.
Enjoy,
mark

They are great...

by Brian A, Sunday, December 18, 2011, 10:45 (4673 days ago) @ anachronism

I bought mine new in '88 and love it. It has been back to the factory three times, twice to correct manufacturing errors and once for a rebuild when it lost timing after about 6000 rounds. It did cost me to ship it to them twice, but there have been no other charges from S&W for the service which was prompt and courteous.

The standard load I use is 240 gr commercial cast SWC bevel bases over 8 gr of Unique. These are used for plinking and small game hunting, having taken dozens of black and fox squirrels with head shots, along with other small vermin and even to put down a crippled deer. This is also the load used when it is put into service as a concealed carry gun.

The secondary load is the Lyman 429244, 255 gr. GC/SWC over 10 gr Unique. With this I have twice won our informal long range competition at the TSMS using the Mountain Revolver, which involves knocking over a 10" steel disk at 275 yards. It was also used to harvest my largest buck to date, a nice 11 pointer at 65 yards.

Hopefully you will enjoy yours every bit as much as I have mine.

They are great...

by anachronism, Sunday, December 18, 2011, 11:12 (4673 days ago) @ Brian A

I need to order a spring kit for it right away, the hammer actually bounces as it fires, and the rebound spring seems to be made out of a coat hanger. I've known this revolver since it was new, and actually owned it once for a couple of years. I had already done the trigger & rebound slide on it once, but the seller told me he stripped the springs from it for use in a 625 45 ACP. This time it stays put.

They are great...

by Brian A, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 19:04 (4670 days ago) @ anachronism

Mine has the original factory springs in it. Did some mild smoothing of moving parts in the action myself as it did not need much and it has about the finest trigger I have ever shot on a revolver.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, December 19, 2011, 22:22 (4671 days ago) @ anachronism

Congrats, I've had a 629-2 Mountain Revolver (as they called it at the time) for years, it's my all time favorite firearm. I like it so well that I bought a 629-5 Mountain Gun as a spare.

I remember the "Mountain Revolver" name from the time

by anachronism, Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 22:19 (4669 days ago) @ Warhawk

But it appears that the public renamed it so emphatically that S&W followed suit. You are totally correct, mine is indeed one of the original "Mountain Revolvers". It's almost too bad that the original owner had it Magnaported, but I really don't believe it'll be a collectors item during my lifetime.

by DiamondD, Thursday, December 22, 2011, 10:24 (4669 days ago) @ anachronism

Very nice!

I have a 625-9 in .45 Colt that I really like in spite of the key hole and MIM parts. I just turned 44 a few days ago and am thinking I will try to find a suitable 44 Mag sometime this year as a BD gift to myself. I would prefer a MG without the key hole but I will have to see what I can find.

RSS Feed of thread