What optics do you like on your AR and why?

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 20:17 (4325 days ago)

Never thought I'd be getting serious enough about this platform to even ask.

I'm looking at Eotechs and Aimpoint PROs at the moment, but am interested in all opinions, good and bad, about any optic with which you have experience.

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 21:12 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock

EoTechs are good for close range CQB out to around 200m or so.
About the same with Aimpoints.
Bucks!
These depend on if you want a dot with a big circle around it, or just a dot.
Past that range and the dot covers too much of the target for fine applications even with a 3X flip or twist to side magnifier behind it.

The Leupold 2.5 scout scope on the top rail of a 20" barrel works very well for both close work and right on out to 300m.
Slightly less bucks

ACOGs are good for longer ranges and if your eyes can adapt to the Bindon Aiming Concept (mine apparently don't as I really can't use a ACOG that way) If your's can't as well, there is an attachment to stiock a Docter, or MRDS dot sight on top of the thing to give you close range aiming.

Major Bucks!

A 1 X 4 Schmidt & Bender variable on the top rail of a receiver works pretty good for everything out to around 300 as well.

Interstellar Bucks!

I've shot all of these and personally have Eotechs, Aimpoints and Leupolds on different rifles for different purposes (like clubs in a golf bag)

I can't say which you should have. Determine what you want to do the most with your AR, also try and hook up with people where you can try out the different optics out these to see what works best for your eyes. I have been blessed with the opportunties I have been given in the past few years to be able to do this.

Trijicon ACOG for longer ranges, Trijicon Reflex for shorter

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 21:41 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock

ranges. Both are the best IMO for what they do, but neither are cheap.

Inside 50 yards, the Reflex is fast, easy to acquire, truly rugged, automatically adjusts to varying lighting conditions, always on, and never needs batteries. There's good reason why the boys in the Sand Box will trade two Eotechs for a Reflex.

For longer ranges (I've used them to 1000 yards), the ACOGs are just wonderful. The optics are exceptionally clear, the ballistic compensator is easy and intuitive to use, they also adjust automatically to various lighting conditions, are always on, and never need batteries.

Email me if you're looking for a Reflex. I have a couple extra for tradin'.

by bmize, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 21:53 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock

Leupold 1.5x5 on my LW plinker.
NF 5.5x22 on my coyote/varmint gun.
NF 8x32 on my 600yd match rifle.

Reddots are fine for kicking in doors and 3 gun games, I'm not doing either.

Keep the change........... :-D

I have conventional scopes on some AR's and an Aimpoint

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 21:53 (4325 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

on one that I would use for close quarters out to 100 yd. No big bucks scopes but they work for me. In a rough environment, they might not last though, so back to iron sights.

Aimpoints have the best batery life and are quicker to turn

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 22:13 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock
edited by Rob Leahy, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 22:16

on & off. I have a couple of them and prefer them. They are tough. The combat Marines and one SEAL that have worked for me are happy with either one, with slight preferences for Eotech's wide field of view. I have a couple Eotechs: they are VERY quick, and easy to use, once the light is turned on.
I like Millet's 1x3 power Illuminated reticule, not sure yet how tough it is. I have one, it is on loan to a friend's son for coyote season.
I have a Leupold 1x3 etched reticule that can be illuminated as well. Other than the lack of quick release mounts and the dot being a bit large past 150 yards, I like it a lot. My personal favorite AR is a 14.5" DSA that I have a Aimpoint Mk3 one and a 3x aimpoint magnifier.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Got three optics.

by cas, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 22:38 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock
edited by cas, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 22:44

A Mepro 21 which works as well or better than any other reflex sight…. meaning it has all the down sides they all do. Dark window and washout problems. I got it cheap, I wouldn't buy another unless it was a real bargain. No way I would ever buy a new one. I like it better than the Trijicon one I had, but that's it. It works great for what I use it for though, recreational shooting in open well lit pits. (45 acp)

[image]

A Burris TAC-30 that's been bouncing back and forth between my .22 upper and my 6.5 Grendel upper. Decent glass for the price and a usable reticle. The illuminated reticle doesn't do me much good on this one personally. Not fully daytime visible all the time on the bright end. And I found hunting with it last week the lowest setting isn't dim enough to be real useful. The illumination control stinks, they did away with it an upgraded it on the newest model the MTAC (but it's like $100 more). 1 - 4 power. On 1x it's just like shooting an Eotech, sadly just not as bright.

[image]

On my "tac ops" rifle (Tactical Optics match rifle) I have a Mepota ZD. I can't say enough nice things about this scope. I love it. The glass is amazing. It's a true 1x (1-4x), fully daytime visible and dawn/dusk usable. Bullet drop compensator of three chevrons works real well for me. I had a Mepota K-Dot for a couple years which was a great scope, but out past 250-300 yards guessing and trying to remember hold over was tough with the reticle. I still love that scope and wish I still owned it on another rifle. I got lucky and got into that scope real cheap. A few years later I was able to upgrade for a small charge thanks to a little help from a factory rep (Meopta USA is near by). Even with the great first price and the great uprgrade… I still have more money in this scope than any two or three others scopes put together. It cost more than most of my guns. More than I paid for both my cars together… though that's misleading and not saying much. lol :-D

[image]

Gotta agree with Boge, the ACOG is an amazing optic.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 22:53 (4325 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

I have a TA01 ACOG, and is amazingly easy to make long range hits with it. Novice shooters can pick it up and shoot well almost immediately.

I like the ACOG also - but I admit they are expensive.

by John K., Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 08:48 (4325 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

To my eye, they seem more "industrial" than the Aimpoints; however, that may not be all that important unless you are dragging them through the rocks in Afghanistan.

My only problem with ACOGs is that I need several more and my wallet whines everytime I look...

Trijicons don't need batteries & are always ON. (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 09:11 (4325 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Yep, correct. I should have at least one...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 09:14 (4325 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

--

They are great, but they AIN'T cheap! Also...

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 10:41 (4325 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...they are usually back-ordered die to military orders.

I have heard tales of US Mil destroying "obsolete" ACOGS

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 11:23 (4325 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

stacking them up at the end of fiscal year and laying a thermite grenade on them... then they get issued newer versions...what a shame!

--

I have a Weaver 1-3X with duplex reticule. Seems adequate

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 11:28 (4325 days ago) @ cubrock

to me. A better scope (I think) than the Colt 3x I had on my old SP1 carbine which was completely adequate.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

That is a shame - just another example of Gov't waste! (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 12:00 (4325 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'm a if fan of low powered variables.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 14:16 (4324 days ago) @ cubrock

Honestly, I'm too cheap to buy really good optics on 'fun guns' but I have a pair of 1.5-5x Bruntons with what they call their turkey reticles. Basically an unlit version of an EOTech. It's very quick up close it can still bring farther targets much closer. My eyes never have been great so I like the magnification for any kind of precision.

For most up close work, a red dot works great. Aimpoints have amazing battery life and a simple reticle. The EoTech reticle can be very useful up close or at distance on e you unferstand it; some consider it 'busy' for ip close work.

I like some magnification for precise work at anything over 50 yards or so. That being said, I've got a micro red dot on an Ultimak rail on my 13" barreled AC556, and have had no trouble hitting a half scale IPSC target on the 100 yard range.

Then, on another AR, an 18" heaven barreled .223, I have a Nikon 4.5-14x scope and its wonderful glass. Fun for punching paper and hopefully for nailing some coyotes this winter!

It really depends on what you want the main use for the rifle to be for optics use. I think a low powered variable is a very versatile optic for a lot of different uses.

by Mark, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 14:39 (4324 days ago) @ cubrock

I like this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/315405/konus-m-30-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-15-6x...

I use my AR mostly for 3 gun. Except for one match this season, most shots were at 100 yards or less. This year, I plan to do some coyote hunting for the first time. I think 6x at 200 yards will be giving up something. This scope is clear and not over priced.
Mark

I have three AR's with three different optics...

by JD, Western Washington, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 14:43 (4324 days ago) @ cubrock

Three AR's with 3 different optics. One with a ACOG, one with an Aimpoint, and one with a Burris 1-4x MTAC scope. While the ACOG and Aimpoint are great, I find the Burris MTAC to be the most useful. It has an illuminated reticle, that at least on mine, works really well in daylight or at night, and is easily adjustable for brightness. Really well designed reticle that allows hits out to 500 yards, and shows red when illuminated and black when illumination is turned off. On 1x it is like using a red dot sight. On 4x it is like using an ACOG, but with a reticle that is more user friendly to me..... I don't think the MTAC is as rugged as an ACOG, but it's worked well for me so far and is a lot more friendly to the wallet.....

What optics do you like on your AR and why? all good choices

by cable, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 14:55 (4324 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

and like you, i have tried them all......i like the golf club analogy, especially

another good one is the leupold CQT, a 1x3 variable, with reticle that also has a battery operated [ very long battery life ] illuminated aiming point for low light conditions. very ruggedly made too.

Some specifics

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 15:28 (4324 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Got to thinking about it a little more and realized I have used a good number of optics even if I've not owned them. Some that I have used were the Millet DMS (decent optic, illumination didn't seem 'red dot bright' in full sun) Leupold CQ/T 1-3x ( very rugged but optics were wavy on the outer 1/4 of the field of view), Trijicon Reflex (neat idea but I like to be able to control my level of brightness) ACOG (very nice but takes some training to use up close) AimPoints and EOTechs have already been discussed, I've also used several of the Primary Arms red dots, both full sized and micros (good value for the money, some starburst or ghosting og the dot; holds zero well for me) Vortex Strikefire (seems good so far, hope to zero and test it out Friday on the new Troy AR)

I really need to buck up and put some more money into optics for my 'serious' rifles, but it seems like there is always something else coming up!

I like the ACOG also - but I admit they are expensive.

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 16:11 (4324 days ago) @ John K.

I can't keep them in my stock of trade goods.

Got anymore? :-)

by John K., Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 16:30 (4324 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Be glad to unburden yer poke.

The spare Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x may go onto my Troy

by brionic @, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 18:11 (4324 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Carbine, assuming I make enough time to pick up the rifle this week.

Have you had a chance to fire yours yet?

Got anymore? :-)

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 19:35 (4324 days ago) @ John K.

Just my old one.
Got more good friends than I have stuff to go around.

optics? don't they already come with sights?

by bj @, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 19:39 (4324 days ago) @ cubrock

nm

The spare Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x may go onto my Troy

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 21:43 (4324 days ago) @ brionic

I haven't shot mine yet. I set it up with a vortex Strikefire and a 3x magnifier. I do have a spare 1.5-5x brunton I took off my heavy barreled 18" gun when I swapped it over from '3 gun rifle' to 'coyote killer'.

I'm working nights this week, so if I can stay awake Friday morning long enough, I'll head to the range with it to give it a good test run.

optics? don't they already come with sights?

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Thursday, November 29, 2012, 07:27 (4324 days ago) @ bj

I need to be able to see the sights before I can use them.
Braille does not work well for me.

by BobM, Ohio, Thursday, November 29, 2012, 15:18 (4323 days ago) @ cubrock

We run Aimpoint CompM4s on rifles that are racked in patrol cars. I also own one CompM4 and an Aimpoint R-1. They've been pretty rugged and durable except that I've had to send two back for repair, only cost us the shipping.
The EOTech's used by SRT people died completely and were problematic when they worked. They've been replaced with Aimpoint's also.
I'd like to look more into low powered variables for my personal use, I've been considering that 1-3 Weaver that Hobie mentioned.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, November 29, 2012, 16:01 (4323 days ago) @ cubrock

Eotech 516 , It works better than irons, only fast hits count! my ar is for defense . not for varmints at least small ones:-D

RSS Feed of thread