Cheap .22s 'R Us

by Catoosa, Saturday, November 24, 2012, 20:51 (4328 days ago)

I found a Marlin Model 989 M2 at one of my hockshop hangouts the other day. Dirty, cheap, but short, light and handy. I've been thinking about picking up a couple of beater .22 rifles to keep in various vehicles and other handy places, and this one seemed useful, so I bought it. Made to look somewhat like a .30 M1 carbine, which it sorta, kinda does if you squinch yer eyes up and look at it sideways.

Ran a couple dozen rounds through it yesterday and it worked OK, so I tore it down and gave it a good cleaning. Found a couple goobers in the stock, but nothing that a little Gorilla glue couldn't fix. Seems pretty solid now, and it handles like a damm lightsaber. Need to get some more magazines - came with one 7 rounder, but I understand most of the current mags will work.

Could have got a new 10/22 for another $125, but it would likely get treated "gently" and left behind on rough duty days. This one will get treated like Troy Landry's gator gitter, and I won't mind a bit. Useful beats pretty on most days, anyhow.

Cheap .22s 'R Us

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, November 24, 2012, 21:36 (4328 days ago) @ Catoosa

I've got an 89C, bought new way back when, which I think uses the same mag. Gun Parts Co sells 10 round mags for them. Those old Marlins will shoot just as well as today's 22's.

RSS Feed of thread