Rolling Block values?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 14:09 (4331 days ago)

Got a local guy with two rolling blocks. One 7mm and the other .43 (he says) Mauser. Bores have some pits but are decent, wood has been replaced. Assuming these might be worth more as actions, any estimates on a value for the pair?

Boy this is tough. If it was just actions, I'd think you'd

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 16:24 (4330 days ago) @ Slow Hand

need to know WHICH actions first, but about $200-400 dependent on condition. But as rifles... well that's another matter. The 7mms tend to go about $700-1000 around here, highly dependent on condition and most not getting top dollar. The .43s, and there are several different cartridges (albeit very slightly different in some cases), were more plentiful but all BP guns. They seem to be all over the place. How it is marked could make a difference. If it is really a Whitney or a period produced parts gun...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Boy this is tough. If it was just actions, I'd think you'd

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 21:17 (4330 days ago) @ Hobie

Hard to tell from the blurry pics I have. But in going to see them tomorrow. I think I can get them right and have a basis for a project at least. Both have cut down or replaced wood and the .43 is missing its mainspring. I know the 7mm actions are usually looked for more due to the strength if the later smokeless actions. I've got a couple of .451 rifle barrels that may work for making a stout .45 Colt that could be fun for next years deer season!

What Hobie said....

by Bud, Friday, November 23, 2012, 07:56 (4330 days ago) @ Slow Hand

all of a sudden the RB's are up around $700+ no matter the condition. I have both 7mm and 43 Spanish. The 43 is accurate well beyond any explanation as the sights are crude and the trigger is awlful, but my CB load of 2400 can ding a 200 yds hanger every shot by anyone that trys it. The 43 looks like it was in a fire or dug up. The 7mm is a solid 85%....best one I ever saw. Just working up loads for it now using a RBCS SIL .285 cast @ 155 grs. These are fun rifles just the way they are.

What Hobie said....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, November 23, 2012, 17:07 (4329 days ago) @ Bud

I ended up passing on them. Too much of a project for me right now. The barrels were pretty much shot, both were missing the extractors and the wood was roughly 2x4 shaped. If someone were looking for actions to build upon it would be a decent deal. He was wanting $425 for both. I can forward a phone number if anyone has an interest.

RSS Feed of thread