Black powder

by esisk @, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 23:16 (4332 days ago)

Working on a couple of front stuffers for a friend. One is a CVA Stalker with a broken nipple. Darn hard metal that, but was able to use a small carbide center drill to drill it out, going to pick up a small easy out tomorrow. Other was a TC Scout with a plugged nipple and a loaded sabot. Could not use my CO2 EZ Unloader because of the vented nipple design. Pulled bullet and sabot disassembled and got nipple cleared. Nice little crack out the back door when I used a cap to clear what was left of the powder charge. Finally got a chance to look through the plastic grocery bag of stuff that they handed me with last weekends Old Army purchase; box of 103 Speer round balls, Brass cylinder style powder flask/measure full of what looks like Pyrodex (slightly caked), unopened tin of caps, inline capper, tube of bullet lube, original Ruger nipple wrench, original manual and Old Army Label for the Ruger box, a small brass adjustable powder measure and what I thought were two more tins of caps were tan doughnut shaped hard plastic over powder wads that I had never seen before. Serial number is from 1983 mfg. Pleased with this purchase is an understatement. If I were to put the original box, nipple wrench, and manual on fleabay (no way) it would probably bring at least half what I paid for the lot. Plan to make some smoke over the holidays this year. :-D

I have found so many loaded MLs in gun, pawn & Antique

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10:10 (4332 days ago) @ esisk

shops...In Prescott there was a nice little antique store the owner was killed by an lady that negligently fired a muzzle loader...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Gun Show.

by JLF @, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10:44 (4332 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I was standing in line for a gunshow some years back. I didn't have a gun with me, so my pay admission line was next to the line with people waiting to get their guns checked and tied. I casually looked down the line and saw an ancient old geezer in his cowboy duds, sporting a cap & ball Colt(or clone) in a belt and holster rig. Something bright caught my eye, and I looked closer to see his sixgun sporting a full cylinder of caps! I was at the front of my line, and he was several poeple away from getting his gun checked, so I moved along, chuckling at the thought of the old coot handing his sixgun over to some greenhorn city cops to be tied.:) I didn't hear any chatter about it, and nothing went bang, so I suppose they all figured out a way.

JLF

Black powder

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 17:36 (4331 days ago) @ esisk

My dad had an old sxs muzzle loading shotgun that hung over the mantle of a working fireplace for years. He picked it up as a kid back in the '30s. In my late teens I decided to clean it one day. He'd packed all his guns with grease in the bores before going to fight in WWII.

As I got down to the chamber area, stuff came out that wasn't grease. Shortly thereafter, shot came pouring out, then more wadding material and finally powder.

Until I've mined myway to the the breechplug, it's loaded...

by John Meeker, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 19:52 (4331 days ago) @ Wildcat

and there are still some ML's that surface at estate sales and auctions, 'ready to go'.

RSS Feed of thread