A good deal for anyone looking for an AR

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 04:15 (4333 days ago)

I stopped by my local Dick's sporting goods last night to pick up a Maverick 88 with an18.5" barrel for $179 (not a bad deal) and tools look at a Troy AR-15 that I've seen there before priced at $1099. It's not bad considering what all it has on it they had them for $999 a couple weeks ago and if you sign up for a store credit card you get another 10% off. Even better deal but I can build a similar carbine for less. Well the mention that their Black Friday deal is that it will be $799! And, you can preorder/special order one for the same price from now until Thursday and not have to go out on Friday! So, with applying for a store card you cn get this carbine:

http://www.troydefense.com/firearmsaccessories/troy-5-56-carbine/

For $720+tax. A quick look at Midway's site shows over $400 in parts like the fore end, rear sight, flash hider, and that ugly (but comfortable) stock. It's now heaped than I can build a similar carbine for, so I'm going to jump on one!

Just thought I'd pass the info along to anyone who may be in the market or on the fence about an AR.

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 07:45 (4333 days ago) @ Slow Hand

This is an excellent deal, even if you don't apply for the store card. I'm going down there today to get one. Was planning a couple builds, but this is going to take the place of one of them.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 07:51 (4333 days ago) @ cubrock

Yep, I cancelled a backorder on a del ton mid length kit. With the lower, kit and a good BUIS, you're in kissing distance to the complete Troy rifle.

Saw and handled one a TacShoot: drew LOTS of attention

by John Meeker @, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 13:03 (4333 days ago) @ cubrock

at the 999 price, then. The fore-end on these is just the opposite of the accessory=draped 'hedgehogs' that are so beloved by tacti-coolers. You can hand what you want, but the Troy FE handle really well -- rifle like, if you will.The popper sights are good quality and not cheap. The butt-stock looks luggy, but holds a lot gear, and feels fine to the cheek spot weld. As noted above, there a few hunnert+ bucks of good quality stuff hanging on the gun, as purchased

Unless there are unknown to me 'component' reasons for not buying one at that new price, I was overall impressed with gun. It was in the hands of an experienced AR tac-match shooter and got passed around after the match with positive comments: fore-end and sights being noted expecially .

I'm already midway thru a build with finished lower and shorty BCM upper being gathered, so can't grab it now. Otherwise, given what I see, and nothing to the contrary yet, one would be coming home, to go with the Rock River Coyote. 'Near and far', as I think of the pair.

Happy buying, for those who do it, I trust.

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 12:21 (4333 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Picked mine up. Went ahead and signed up for the card to get another 10% off, plus bought one of their Black Friday 32 gun safes. So, after sales tax, I have less than $800 in the gun and less than $600 in the safe.

One other thing

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 13:10 (4333 days ago) @ cubrock

I bought the floor model, as it was one of the first 500 made. These first 500 carbines were made on billet lowers and have a numbered certificate in the box stating such. After the first 500, I don't know what lower they used, but the certificate in those boxes didn't say anything about the lower nor was it numbered to the gun.

At any rate, I took the floor model with a bit of wear to get the billet receiver. Only billet receivered AR I own and I look forward to giving it a whirl.

So, if you plan on buying one, check out the floor model and the ones in the back and you may find a billet receivered gun.

Got mine tonight

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 17:48 (4332 days ago) @ cubrock

Yep, came out around $775 with tax. I passed on the floor model because they put a wire rope through all the magwells/ejection ports and this one had been beat up pretty bad. I hope to be able to shoot it next week sometime. Here it is with a Primary Arms red dot on it.

[image]

I've also got a spare 1.5-5x scope in an AR mount I'll take to range to test accuracy with also.

Troy is a top notch manufacturer too

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 09:37 (4332 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I've been playing around with AR's for several years now, and have built several ARs the way I wanted them. Troy is a top notch company and highly respected in the AR world. I have used a lot of their parts, including their hand guards on almost every AR I own.

This price is almost unbelieveable, that hand guard alone with the flip up sight is about $250 by itself. I'm not wild about their buttstock, but it's easy to change and not very expensive.

I'm going to pass this along to a few folks I know who could use a quality AR at a decent price.

I would have thought that prices would be going way up now

by bj @, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 19:53 (4331 days ago) @ Slow Hand

with O all but promising renewed legislative attacks.

I think most of the folks , MOST, have already bought

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 22:05 (4331 days ago) @ bj

what they wanted long ago...BUT my local dealer says his venders are saying that they are out of stock on ARs and AR mags.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Rob, I Just got some from Brownells

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, November 22, 2012, 09:14 (4331 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, I just bought 12, -30- round .223 magpull? from Brownells they came to my house in 4 days. I think I`ll order a few more this week I hope there not all sold out!

The Magpuls

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, November 23, 2012, 16:45 (4329 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Seem to be in good supply, at least here.

I snoozed/losed. Called last night, "No problem...

by brionic @, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 00:36 (4331 days ago) @ Slow Hand

... we have plenty in stock." Then went in this morning and POOF! They were all gone.

"I didn't really need it" rings hollow on a great deal like that.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, November 23, 2012, 16:24 (4329 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I picked up an M&P 15, pretty much the base model, but it was less than $700. Now I need to accumulate some brass and magazines, as well as the conversion kit for my 550, and a set of dies.

OK, found one in Dubuque... the last one in Eastern IA.

by brionic @, Friday, November 23, 2012, 19:24 (4329 days ago) @ Slow Hand

There were over fifty people lined up to buy firearms and ammo... It warms the heart. However, it took about an hour to get the rifle in hand and pay for it... AND the NICS was down, so I face the pleasure of a return trip. For a well put together carbine, it's worth it, and like you all pointed out, building one with a similar setup would cost me at least $1400.

I also picked up a three pack of the Troy thirty rounders, with the fish scale texture. Will be interested in comparing them to my PMAGS, although I'm just as happy with rebuilt surplus and Brownells civi mags.

Thx for the tip. Slow Hand. I had just about written it off as a missed opportunity. When the wine kicked in after dinner, the switch was thrown in my brain, and that was it.

RSS Feed of thread