R.I.P. Joe.

by JLF @, Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 14:36 (4339 days ago)

Joe Blakely passed away Sunday when his ol' heart had finally had enough. Joe was somewhat of a legend in the Texas gun community, some good, and some bad.:) I've known him 35 years, and I learned a lot from dealing with him, and just watching him work. Joe was pure west Texas, but if you left it at that, you were in for a good skinning. Well read, and smart as a whip, many a gun trader, including me, would be 10 miles down the road from Joe's house, when they wondered "why did I do that!?" He was truely one of a kind, and a real piece of work.

Joe was 65, and battled diabetes all his life. The usual stuff started acting up 20 years ago, but he was just too mean and stubborn to let any of it slow him down. And it never did, he was planning for Tulsa when he went down. He left a fine collection of Colts and Winchesters, I'm guessing several hundred guns.

I've spent many an hour in the same room with Joe Blakely, and Bill Powell at the same time. As Gus McCrea said: "I God Woodrow, it's been quite a party"

JLF

Sorry to hear that...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 17:21 (4339 days ago) @ JLF

Take care Jack.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I'm sorry Jack.

by MR, Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 19:21 (4339 days ago) @ JLF

He pushed the limits way beyond the redline for many years.

Cisco Texas, the town where Hilton opened his first hotel and Santa Claus robbed the bank, has just lost one of it's more colorful residents.

R.I.P. Joe.

by madbohemian, Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 15:40 (4338 days ago) @ JLF

I knew Joe quite well and he was a wealth of knowledge and a master gun trader. Traded and bought guns off of him over the years. Loved trading guns with him but I'm a glut'n for punishment.
:-)I can remember him wailing like a banshee if I was getting the best of him in a gun trade.:-D Yep good times. I will miss Joe for sure.

RSS Feed of thread