Wife left here a week ago today...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, November 08, 2012, 14:14 (4345 days ago)

Got as far as FT STockton TX. She don't drive very fast. She's gonna spend a few around this area and then on to Big Bend area, and then onward.

by Charles, Thursday, November 08, 2012, 15:25 (4344 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Fort Stockton is a pretty bleak place. They used to have a K-Bobs cafe there that was OK, other than that the place is pretty much a loss. There is a winery a few miles out of town that is worth a visit, but tours must be arranged through the local chamber of commerce.

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Thursday, November 08, 2012, 16:22 (4344 days ago) @ Charles

They have been in the midst of another oil boom there the past several months, probably doubled in population the past 6 months.The better spots usually follow in another 6 months, then the boom is usually over. But might last a little longer this time. Depends on Oblama and the EPA.

by Charles, Thursday, November 08, 2012, 21:38 (4344 days ago) @ lee jurras

The "all bidness" has always been a boom and bust affair. I hope the folks in Ft. Stockton are making hay while the sun shines.

Twenty years ago, when I lived in Odessa, I saw a car with the bumper sticker reading: "Dear God just give us one more oil boom and I won't piss it off this time".

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Thursday, November 08, 2012, 22:50 (4344 days ago) @ Charles

Yes Charles was more popular in our area, more so than any political bumper sticker ever seen. I think the actual wording was, I promise I won't piss it away this time. :-D

Correction, it was two weeks ago...

by pokynojoe, Friday, November 09, 2012, 06:30 (4344 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Talked to her late last night, and although Ft. Stockton sounds like my kind of place, she wasn't very enthralled, so it's on to the "Big Bend" country. Thanks for the insight guys, I don't get around much. I'm not familiar with any of these places she's headed to now.

by lee jurras @, Hagerman,NM, Friday, November 09, 2012, 10:43 (4344 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Has she checked the Alpine area, more trees and water. Buncha good ole boy big bore handgunners too. ATB, Lee :-D

by Charles, Sunday, November 11, 2012, 14:09 (4342 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Alpine Texas is one of the finest small towns in Texas. They have everything there needed to live the good life. A good hospital, a nice small univerity (of which I am a graduate), good people, lots of bueatiful country and plenty of room to roam. Great place. Jim Wilson and Joaquin Jackson both live there along with lots of other very gunny people. It is a Texas ranching community par excellance. I would be there, but for my wife is a "kitty from the city" and no rural life for her.

that is a great area! good people, beautiful mountains!

by cable, Monday, November 12, 2012, 12:34 (4341 days ago) @ Charles

:-P

RSS Feed of thread