Neck Expanding for Cast Bullets

by Charles, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:29 (4348 days ago)

Most commercial handgun dies these days have expander plugs for use with jacketed bullets. These work just fine with the granite "hard cast" bullets that are sold through commercial outlets. Note, I did not say the bullets work fine, just the expander. I understand the new RCBS Cowboy dies are larger, tht is why I said "most".

However, many of us that cast our own, prefer softer bullets. The small expanders can result in bullet deformation as they are horsed down into the case.

The older Lyman 310 dies for the tong tool come with larger expanders in handgun calibers. I use these to expand my handgun cases for cast bullets. These dies are marked:

357 (357 Mag)
358 (38 Special)
427 (44-40)
429 (44 Special and Mag)
452 (45 ACP)
454 (45 Colt)

The expander plugs actually measure .001 less than they are marked, giving a good tension for the cast bullet without deforming the same. They are also of the two step (M die) configuration with the top step being .002 -003 larger than the plug proper to allow bullet to be seated without shaving.

I find these work for me and are available used for not much money. Just passing this on for those who share my same concern. Itis the cheap way to jump the undersized expander snake.

Good info Charles, thanks for posting. I have mixed

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:38 (4348 days ago) @ Charles

expanders for cast bullets for many years.

by jgt, Monday, November 05, 2012, 11:03 (4348 days ago) @ Charles

Lyman M dies use cartridge case familiy bodies and individual size expander plugs like you discribed. You can order them in most any size. Calling them and explaining what you need usually gets you the correct plug for the particular application. They are very helpful. If they do not have or make an oddball size plug, you can get one custom made for a reasonable price from "Buckshot" over on the Cast Boolets site.

by Charles, Monday, November 05, 2012, 11:20 (4348 days ago) @ jgt

The M-die plugs furnished by Lyman are what comes in their dies i.e. too small for cast bullets. I know Buckshot and Lathsmith and they have made me custom equipment before. I mention the Lyman 310 expanders because they cost between $5 and $10 (including die and ring) on Ebay. A far less costly alternative to having custom stuff made. I also have a lathe and can make my own, but for the price of these things, it is not worth the time and effort to make my own.

Therefore, I posted the information, not because there are not alternatives, but because it is a cost effective approach to solving the problem and one most handloaders are not aware of.

by jgt, Monday, November 05, 2012, 12:33 (4347 days ago) @ Charles

It was certainly good information to know because I didn't know about the 310 dies having that feature. I only posted about the M die as additional information in case people could not find the 310 dies and needed a way to load cast bullets without shaving the base.

RSS Feed of thread