My old Colt

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 20:40 (4348 days ago)

I've shown pictures of this before but Charle's posts made me take another gander at this one.This gun was Ed McGivern's. he traded it to a friend, Bruce Raymond, in 1941. Bruce carried it in a Hieser Shoulder holster throughout the Pacific Campaign. Bruce gave this to me along with a first addition copy of Fast & Fancy Pistol Shooting.[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

All I have is one word..........

by Murphy @, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 21:14 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

ARKANSAS!

Murphy

Rob, that is way cool...

by Boge Quinn, Monday, November 05, 2012, 08:10 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...I love guns that have a story to tell!

Geeeez Rob....

by Bud, Monday, November 05, 2012, 08:45 (4348 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

what a treasure...that aught to be in a museum somewhere.

My old Colt

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, November 05, 2012, 08:45 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

A beautiful old piece of history!

My old Colt

by Charles, Monday, November 05, 2012, 09:13 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That is a fantastic handgun, and to own it is almost to wonderful to think about. You are one lucky guy. Enjoy having it and shoot it every once in a while.

An incredible piece of history

by Brian A, Monday, November 05, 2012, 09:17 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

You are very fortunate to possess such a piece

Funny

by JLF @, Monday, November 05, 2012, 09:54 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Good thing Bill Powell never got wind of that one, you would have had him howling outside your windows all night with the coyotes.:) He had so much McGivern stuff that I told him I expected him to show up any day with ol' Ed himself, well stuffed, and lashed to a two-wheeler. I don't ever remember seeing your particular Ed gun, so I think it's safe to say that it escaped Powell's radar. It's a beauty.

JLF

HAR!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:07 (4348 days ago) @ JLF

Bruce, my friend was a great guy. Growing up in Lewistown, MT, lived next door to McGivern. To say he was "Into guns" was an understatement. At 72 years old he was competing in our local Bowling pin cowboy action and combat matches. His kids both moved to Seattle and became good little anti gunners...he sold and gave away many of his heirloom guns. He had the first 4006 and the first 686+ any of us had seen in that neck of the woods.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

+1, a real treasure

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:35 (4348 days ago) @ Brian A

nm

It is......

by madbohemian, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:59 (4348 days ago) @ JLF

a awesome piece of history! I personally got to inspect and handle it. I sat there in awe for 30 minutes holding it in my two hands thinking of all the places and people this sixgun has seen........................
Rob your a very lucky man and a dear friend and I cannot think of anyone more deserved to possess it.

My old Colt

by jgt, Monday, November 05, 2012, 12:22 (4348 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

WOW!!!!! Great gun to own. I am glad to hear it is owned by someone who knows who Ed McGivern was and appreciates the significance of such an heirloom.

I was working in Boise one winter and one of the young co-workers on our crew was from Montana with the last name of McGivern. Upon being introduced to him I immediately ask if he was kin to the one and only Ed McGovern. He gave me a blank look and said he had never heard of Ed McGivern. I told him he might want to do some checking when he returned home because that was too much of a coincident to be from Montana and wear that name and not be kin. This kid was very personable and liked guns & hunting also.

Thanks for the sharing the gun and story with us.

Salaam, Efendi. Good medicine, indeed.

by John Meeker @, Monday, November 05, 2012, 18:22 (4347 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

x

That is way cool Rob!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, November 09, 2012, 08:28 (4344 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Tell me, how does one keep those stags mounted?

RSS Feed of thread