Older Guys and Concealed Carry

by DeeBee @, Saturday, November 03, 2012, 18:35 (4349 days ago)

http://smith-wessonforum.com/concealed-carry-self-defense/274839-older-guys-concealed-c...

Very interesting thread got me thinking about my personal carry options.

I frequently wear a sweatshirt or hoodie with a handwarmer tunnel. It would certainly seem a great place to carry concealed, especially when sitting, but every small handgun 'prints' pretty clearly.
Ideas to carry in the tunnel? How about the classic back pocket holster that looks flat on the outside, but made like a softer pocket holster, but even that would sag and look odd? Other options?

As I Recall

by Drago, Saturday, November 03, 2012, 21:15 (4349 days ago) @ DeeBee

Bill Jordan used to carry a .22WMR S&W Airweight in his sweatshirt.

About anytime I ain't working...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 00:13 (4349 days ago) @ DeeBee

the little Undercover is riding along in a battered old Simply Rugged Silver Dollar. Works fine under a tail-out t-shirt.

About anytime I ain't working...

by bob, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 00:49 (4349 days ago) @ Sarge

as will a Glock 36, especilly if you wear your old XXL shirts over your revised XL frame! OH! and in a Robs' Barracuda. isn't that what it is Rob?ujvua

I'm too vain to wear a shirt out

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 04:29 (4349 days ago) @ Sarge
edited by Bob Hatfield, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 04:49

My old man when I was young would'nt let me wear my shirt tails out. When I was in High shcool you would get a visit to the principals office if your shirt tail was out. Plus Dad wouldn't buy me slip on shoes like the other guys had (penny loafers). He said not wanting to tie my shoes would "make me lazy". He must have ingrained this deeply in my brain as I cannot fathom having a shirt tail hanging out LOL. Even right now at 4:30 am the shirt tail is tucked in and my shoes are tied.
So when I carry, I carry in a pocket, unless I have a jacket on. I have carried inside the pants inside the shirt and open one button to retrieve the weapon. Not lighting fast draw LOL.

Oh, I remember...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 06:22 (4349 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

when skuul ruules dictated no un-tucked shirts. But I was a rebel without a clue and still am, in a lot of ways.

Wear a vest! Coronado leather has a very well made

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 10:40 (4349 days ago) @ Sarge

Leather concealment vest. JUST long enough to hide inside the waistband holstered guns. It has some big concealed pockets as well, but I like to carry my gun on my right hip...and another one in my pocket.
I have found that dungarees (painter's pants) are cut loose enough I can hide a substantial firearm in my front pocket a XDs 45 resides in a pocket Protector in my left front pocket, right now.
Untucted shirts: here uin Yavapai county, with so many pistol packers, and within in in the shadow of Gunsite, combined the summer heat, untucked shirts are the norm.
The Wilderness makes the very nicest of these shirts with Southwestern themes.
The sweat shirt thing is too saggy a fanny pack may as well be made form clear plastic as they just scream "gun."
Ankle holsters are OK for a second (or better a 3rd) gun, or for use while seated, driving, etc(Or when you fall on the floor) They do tend to impede ones blood circulation and look gouache with short pants.;-)
Pocket Holsters and belt holsters work very well, we do, however have to dress around the gun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I ain't buying anything speshull...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 11:44 (4349 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

to do what I been doin' since before i was driving.* I think success in these matters is as much in the way you carry yourself, as it is in how you carry the gun.

*Except maybe another holster or two from a holster-pusher I know ;)

I ain't buying anything speshull...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 13:07 (4349 days ago) @ Sarge

Its also in realizing that about 99% of the public is so self involved you could be wearing a Ruger Super Alaskan in a shoulder holster with a tank top on and they wouldn't notice! I was so worried about getting made when I first started carrying I was always adjusting clothes and figeting. I realized that made me more obvious than less. After a few nervous moments stadning in line between two on duty cops at a convenience store while packing a 1911 and a Smith Centinnial without so much as a glance from them, I figured I was doing OK.

I picked up a PF-9 finally and it came equipped with a belt clip. I always looked at them as pocket clips like a knife and thought it was a stupid idea. When I realised it was for a more secure 'Mexican' carry, I really like them! It wont replace my J frame anytime soon, but having 8 rounds of Gold Dot 9mm in a virtually unnoticable package feels pretty good!

I was pretty suprised when I laid the Kel Tec and teh 442 on top of each other...

[image]

[image]

Wanna see something crazy?

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 18:27 (4348 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by Sarge, Sunday, November 04, 2012, 18:30

A Taurus PT-145 next to a KelTec P-11. More comparison pics in the link.

http://www.mouseguns.com/ratguns/pt145/pt145.htm

[image]
[image]

I may be sorry but I'm gonna try one of these at the first opportunity. If it runs and shoot's like my boss's PT-140 (rested over a car door) I'm gonna learn to like it.
[image]

I have a PT140 - always reliable but had to modify the sight

by stonewalrus, Monday, November 05, 2012, 07:36 (4348 days ago) @ Sarge
edited by stonewalrus, Monday, November 05, 2012, 07:39

I hate Heinie straight 8s! BTW the 24/7 15 rounders work in it just fine. The Smith M&P Compact is the same size - even fits the same holsters. I did have one bad PT140 magazine - it would drop loose after 2 - 3 shots. I figured out the notch for retaining the magazine was offset from where it should be.

What did you replace your sights with? I can...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, November 05, 2012, 08:48 (4348 days ago) @ stonewalrus

use the Straight Eights but actually like the standard Glock arrangement better.

Novak 1911 sights from Brownells

by stonewalrus, Monday, November 05, 2012, 20:55 (4347 days ago) @ Sarge

I had to file the front sight down significantly to get a normal sight picture. I tried Williams Fire Sights before that. You are still stuck with holding front dot above rear. At close range though it is put green dot on chest and ignore the rear sight. Couldn't hit much of anything past 10 - 15 yards.

Thanks, Stone (nm)

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, November 06, 2012, 10:07 (4347 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Wanna see something crazy?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, November 05, 2012, 10:30 (4348 days ago) @ Sarge

I had one of those years back. I think it was called a Millennium. I bought it d
So I could hide a big bore with enty of bullets while sitting at a jewelry bench in a ghetto mall. My boss hated guns so it had to be concealed pretty well. I carried it in a belly band for awhile and later in an ankle rig (I spent about 7 hours a day sitting at a bench). Worked great for me but sometimes didn't like my handloads. The double strike capability of the trigger came in handy in this situations.

I saw this in a fast food restaurant

by bj2, Tuesday, November 06, 2012, 13:04 (4347 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Its also in realizing that about 99% of the public is so self involved you could be wearing a Ruger Super Alaskan in a shoulder holster with a tank top on and they wouldn't notice!

I was standing in the lunch line in a fast food restaurant and noticed the guy standing behind me was wearing a belt holster with a Glock in it. He was dressed just like me- jeans and normal shirt. I didn't see a badge but I wasn't going to look him over head to toe anyway. Nobody else in the place seemed to even notice the guy. When we left we saw a County Constable car in the parking lot and figured it was his.

RSS Feed of thread