I've given in again...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, December 11, 2011, 20:45 (4679 days ago)

...and paid too much for something I really wanted. Not needed, wanted. Hopefully, I'll have the funds wending their way to Londonderry, NH and the Colt Lightweight Officer's model .45 on its way to me to be here by next week. Herewith is one of the auction photos...

[image]

Now to get new stocks, extra magazines...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Congrats. Gotta love a Colt

by edwardyoung, Sunday, December 11, 2011, 21:13 (4679 days ago) @ Hobie

I've had numerous OfficersACP Colts. Never had any problems with the supposedly-prone-to-breakage recoil spring plug. I would take the internet experts' advice to immediately replace it with some kind of reverse plug setup with a grain of salt. Of course, what do I know? Nice Colt, anyway.

That is mighty slick (nm)

by Sarge, Sunday, December 11, 2011, 22:11 (4679 days ago) @ Hobie

CDNN has good deals on magazines, may have stocks

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, December 12, 2011, 09:16 (4679 days ago) @ Hobie

nm

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

We got my son Hogue Lamo Camo stocks

by stonewalrus, Monday, December 12, 2011, 19:02 (4678 days ago) @ Hobie

May sound weird but they look pretty sharp. Their faux ivory's not bad either.

I hit CDNN for $10 OEM magazines and a set of $22 stocks.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 08:48 (4678 days ago) @ Hobie

I was not up-to-date on the other 7-round magazine offerings so passed on those. It will come with 2 mags anyway. This is the 4th or 5th I've seen offered with Pachmayr rubber, was that standard on these for a time?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I've given in again...

by Catoosa, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 09:44 (4678 days ago) @ Hobie

Hobie, I don't believe you'll be sorry. I did the same thing a while back with that Colt .38 Super GM. Heck of a hit to a pore boy's gun budget, but it's turned out to be a real honey. I could have gotten a Rock Island for about half what I paid for it and had a perfectly serviceable pistol, but a Colt is a Colt.

A Colt is a Colt is pretty much my view... I want a SA but

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 13:19 (4677 days ago) @ Catoosa

that will now have to wait just a bit.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I've given in again...

by stonecoldrc, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 19:30 (4677 days ago) @ Catoosa

And isn't that Colt GM in 38 super a great gun? I really enjoy mine and like it a little more every day.

Colt .38 Super.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 07:29 (4677 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Yes, it certainly is. Mine had a bad barrel when I got it, and had to go back to the factory. They replaced the barrel and must have generally "slicked up" the gun, because it now runs like a Rolex and is scary accurate. Easier to shoot fast than a .45 and lots more stomp 'em than a 9mm.

Colt .38 Super vs. 9mm

by RangerBob, Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 08:54 (4677 days ago) @ Catoosa

I've tried to find the huge benefit of .38 Super . . . other than just the coolness factor . . . but I have a hard time finding it.

In normal ammo, the 125gr.38 Super loads seem to have about the same velocity as the 115gr 9mm loads. Advantage goes to the Super, but not by much.

Corbon loads 125gr .38 Super to 75fps more than 125gr 9mm +P. Again, the Super wins . . . but who could really tell the difference.

Am I missing something?

Bob

Colt .38 Super vs. 9mm

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 15, 2011, 22:50 (4675 days ago) @ RangerBob

You're only missing something if you don't handload the Super. As you've observed, most common .38 Super factory ammo is no hotter than 9mm. Only commonly available factory load I've tried that approaches the ORIGINAL .38 Super specs is the Winchester 130 grain flat point FMJ - it does just under 1300 fps out of my gun. Most other .38 Super factory loads run 1200 fps or less, and some barely break 1100.

However, case capacity is what gives the Super the edge over the 9mm. Using Unique, you can run a 115 grain JHP to 1300 fps in the Super without getting into the pressures that 9mm +P exhibits. I am pretty conservative (read that WIMPY) with my handloads, so I have not attempted to push the envelope, but I feel very comfortable running the 124 grain Hornady XTP to 1260 fps in my gun. The 9mm just won't do anything close to that with a 124 grain bullet, without putting "smileyfaces" on the brass in an unsupported 1911 barrel.

As to any practical advantage that gives you, it's debatable. If you're trying to strafe a coyote running across a field from the seat of a tractor, the faster bullet and flatter trajectory might be an advantage. For most types of shooting, not so much. The best thing about the .38 Super is, as you say, the major cool factor.

I'd LIKE a .38 Super but that's one I'm not yet loading,

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 20:19 (4677 days ago) @ Catoosa

and I'd like a 10mm which I do load for (for my Contender).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I've given in again...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 10:08 (4671 days ago) @ Hobie

Now scheduled (we'll see) to arrive tomorrow...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread