Loading the 500 S&W

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 12:31 (4359 days ago)

I finally picked up my 500 S&W

[image]

[image]

I have no desire to shoot ANY full house loads in this thing, but I did break down an order a box of the HSM "Bear Loads" from Midway, mainly because they were ONLY $35 a box versus the $60 a box Hornady stuff. I also ordered brass and dies for this beast.

I ordered some of these 380 grain bullets
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_...

and some of these 450 grain "Keith" bullets
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_...

The powders I've seen mentioned for low to mid range loads are Trail Boss, Unique, Unversal, and HS-6. I have Unique and Universal on hand.

Any favorite loads, or recommendations?

I'm hoping to use this beast on a red deer cow or cow elk meat hunt in the near future.

I like that barrel contour!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 13:03 (4359 days ago) @ Warhawk

John Ross had a bunch made up like that sans porting.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I like it too ...

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 15:27 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I was looking for a 4 inch gun, but this one came along at a "can't refuse" price so now I have a 6 1/2 inch .500.

I wonder how much 2400 it would take to make up some .500 S&W "Keith Loads"

[image]
450 Grain Semi Wadcutter Gas Check (.501)

Indeed!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 21:47 (4358 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Much more pleasing than what I usually see. What is the story? Is it factory?

Thanks!

Yes sir, factory offering

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 22:09 (4358 days ago) @ Hoot

The 6 1/2 inch barrel is a factory offering, but there apparently aren't many of them around.

Well huh.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, October 26, 2012, 07:43 (4358 days ago) @ Warhawk

I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open. I like that MUCH better than the usual fare.

I wish it didn't have the ports

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Friday, October 26, 2012, 09:04 (4358 days ago) @ Hoot

I wish it didn't have the ported barrel, but they all do except for the John Ross version.

I picked up this one at Cabelas for a VERY good price. From the looks of it, one of those guns that comes in for trade with most of the first box of ammo.

Matts Bullets

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 19:15 (4359 days ago) @ Warhawk

There are some good looking flat base bullets right there at a decent price. Thanks for the link.

Art

RSS Feed of thread