My wife's leaving me...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 11:09 (4360 days ago)

No, it's not what you're thinking.

It seems we wore this part of the country out. The wife leaves tomorrow; she’ll be gone for the month of November. She’s on a mission to find us a place to go. West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, seems to be her preferred potential roosts. She lived for five or six years in New Mexico and Arizona, me? Other than a short one month stint on the “rez” with the Navajo back in the ‘70’s, I’m unfamiliar with that part of the country.

Frankly, just between you and me, I don’t really think we can afford to live in that part of the country, problem is, when I retire, we both know we won’t be able to stay here either. I didn’t dissuade her though; she’s proved me wrong before, so I guess will see. I’ve grown pretty fond of having lot’s a water around, gonna miss that. Other than that, I don’t have any “roots” in this place, or anywhere else for that matter, so that’s not an issue. I could use a change of scene, so I hope she lucks up on something. If nothing else, she’ll have made a nice trip.

My wife's leaving me...

by Charles, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 11:25 (4360 days ago) @ pokynojoe

West Texas and New Mexico were my "stompin grounds" for many years. She should be able to fine a nice place there. Cost of living won't be higher than any other place and probably lower as long as you stay out of the big cities, where folks are stacked on top of each other competing for everything including air.

Thanks Charles, that's encouraging...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 20:51 (4359 days ago) @ Charles

I'm somewhat familiar with the hill country as my wife's parents lived there. But I'm only familiar with the area from Kerrville up to around Brady. My wife's folks lived in Mason, and that's where they're buried. I liked it there, but my wife won't live there. I'm thinking it's probably to pricey for us now anyway. She's gonna look further west, I'm not sure but she knows some places.

Thanks Charles, that's encouraging...

by Charles, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 12:07 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I prefer smaller town that are close enough to a trade center for shopping and medical care. Abilene and San Angelo both meet that test and lots of smaller towns around there to choose from. The kids grow up and move to the bigger cities so the price of real estate is lower in places that are not growing but getting smaller. This is offset to some degree by the gas it take to go shopping for anything more than the basics. But, by careful planning, the number of trips can be cut way down and it is always fun to go to a place with a choice of places to eat and big box stores. Shopping and going to the Dr. become a mini-vacation.

Folks in small town West Texas towns are straight talking conservative people that cling their guns and their religion. They can be narrow minded and set in their ways. But they are also warm, friendly and loving.

Everbody loves the Hill Country and wants to live their, that is why home values and everything in general cost most.

I am very fond of New Mexico and the culture is entirely different with much diversity. You will be living hip and thigh with all kinds of people. New Mexico has an income tax and Texas does not. But Texas sale taxes are higher than NM. So, it balances out.

Parts of New Mexico are very pretty, but folks want to live there so prices are up. About the only way to stretch your dollars is live somewhere where folks don't want to move to. I like deserts myself, so I am good to go in the cheap places.

I liked San Angelo the 10 weeks I was there. Nice folks.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 18:04 (4358 days ago) @ Charles

What few people I met in Abilene over the 20 hours I was there were real nice, too!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

A little more

by Charles, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 12:17 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Oklahoma is a great state that is pretty, has first class people and land values about half that of Texas. That means home prices will also be lower. I really don't know about the general cost of living, but I suspect it would be about the same as Texas otherwise.

Joe, if she gets out to Prescott, have her call us. She can

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 13:05 (4360 days ago) @ pokynojoe

stay here if she would like.
Lot's of available real estate around here easy living at 5000 feet.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thanks Rob, you're too kind...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 21:24 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I gave her your name and number, and yes, she will probably be going right past you. Elizabeth will be with her then (see my "update" below). There's a lot Elizabeth wants to see in Arizona. Prescott looks nice, I could live there, heck I spent a year in the bowls of East St. Louis, after that I knew I'd have no trouble living anywhere. Elizabeth wants to go to some place called Antelope Canyon, that anywhere around you? She also wants to go on the glass sky walk thing over the canyon. They also are planning to go to Canyon de Chelly.

My wife's name is Carlyle, so if somebody by that name calls you know who it is. If they show up, I guarantee it will be around dinner time. Oh, and one more thing, my wife and daughter lie something awful, so whatever they tell you about me, don't believe them, it's not true. I don't know if you'll hear from them, but I'd like to thank you again for your kind offer.

Glass Sky walk...run away! Contractor does not garuntee it's

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 11:07 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

safety...maybe just hokum, cause the Indians didn't finish paying them, but dang have you seen a lot of stellar safety innovations or procedures on any reservations? OK if it had been built by Mohawk iron workers, I'd trust it...But these guys can't properly maintain a Chevy pick up...
Antelope canyon is a slot canyon up near Page AZ, became well known after a Monsoon down pour cause a flash flood killed a half dozen hikers about 190 years ago.
Not much rain this time of year, so she should be fine:-)

Canyon De Chelly is on the far Northeast corner of AZ. Nice place, I have been near it on a few occasions, but never made the actual visit. The original inhabitants were killed and ate by the Navajos... That doesn't happen, much, since Kit Carson whipped em in the 1860s.
let her know that in general above 5,00 feet in AZ life is very tolerable year around. above 6000, tall, cool, pines (Mostly)longer, cold, winters, highways closed due to dust and snow storms, limited access to ground water. below 4000 feet too darn hot pool side living necessary for human habitation.;-) Places to look at Williamson Valley Prescott Skull Valley (A little hot) Wiiliams (Out of town) Sedon a/Vuillage of Oak Creek. Pine, Payson, Thatcher.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I was relieved to see the rest of the post... While we've

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 14:11 (4360 days ago) @ pokynojoe

decided to stay here in VA, there is some beautiful country in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Heck, there's lots of beautiful country just about everywhere. It is the taxes and laws that drive me nuts and the reasons I'll likely never live in the north east US. I wish you the best of luck. I would tell you that WV and VA have some great places to live.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I do like the Shenandoah Valley and

by Bud, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 15:48 (4359 days ago) @ Hobie

eastern W.Virginia. Grew up there, but couldn't find a decent job so moved elsewhere. Get at least 100 miles away from DC and you'll do fine. If I didn't have to work, I'd select a place west of Harrisionburg on the west side of the Blue Ridge Mtns. Good huntin, fishin and people. Maybe 4 hour drive to VA & NC beaches.

I like the way you think...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 16:05 (4359 days ago) @ Bud

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I'm familiar with the Staunton area Hobie...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 21:43 (4359 days ago) @ Hobie

Your right, it's beautiful. That whole valley from Roanoke to Front Royal is lovely.

I've lived my whole life east of the Mississippi, from the upper Peninsula of Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Florida, PA, Alabama, and here in Tennessee, and a few places in between. I think I'd like to live out the rest of my life somewhere on the west side of that river. Don't really care where, just someplace different then what I'm used to. Someplace where I don't know anybody, and everything and everybody will be new. I guess that's just the way I look at it, kind of like one last "do over."

I hear you. I've toyed with the idea of moving out west

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 18:02 (4358 days ago) @ pokynojoe

some place like Backofbeyond, Montana but familial cares have prevented such impulsive moves. We ALMOST moved to Cody but my dear wife couldn't bring herself to throw away her retirement and the fever has abated...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Best of luck in the search...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 15:43 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

nm

update...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 20:44 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Well, we're about finished packing up the car, I tore the seats out of the back of her MDX and built her a bed to sleep in the back. Just as I finish, she turns to me and I get one of those "Oh, by the way" moments.

Turns out, Elizabeth will be in San Francisco next week on business,afterwards she's gonna fly to Austin, we're they'll meet up and head west. My daughter has a very ambitious itinerary, she's wanting to relocate also. But it seems to me, this is turning out to be more of a sight-seeing trip. They're going to head to El Paso, then down towards White Sands, on to Tucson and up to the Grand Canyon, back through Albuquerque with various and sundry stops along the way. Of course the itinerary is very "fluid", or so I'm told. I'm not sure how much "scouting" the two of them are going to get done. Let's just say, after hearing this, I'm not in a big hurry to put the home place up for sale.

Sounds like as good an excuse as any

by Brian A, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 21:45 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

for a heck of an interesting Mother/Daughter road trip. Hope they have a great time.

If it does turn out to be scouting rather than social...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:22 (4359 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I would appreciate hearing about her findings. I'm not retirement age but I can see it from where I sit. It would be good to make a few plans sooner or later.

Thanks!

RSS Feed of thread