Living below the radar?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 12:14 (4363 days ago)

I am tired of hearing otherwise patriotic Americans talk about buying guns below the radar, no paperwork, no added attention. I heard a friend, a man I know is a good man ask to buy a couple AR's, but space the purchases out so that the added paperwork involved did not gain any possible undo ATF attention... How many times have folks, including me, joked/bragged about this gun can't be traced back to me...all the yahoo's walking around gun shows looking for guns without paperwork...has that become the modern Americans standard- live below the radar? This thinking is so Selfish and so short sighted... incrementally we gain and loose rights while ignoring the bigger picture...our nation is sliding downhill while we try and stay below the radar.
I have grown to find this type of thinking obscene; why should a free man in a free nation even begin to think this way?
more to follow...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Living below the radar?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 13:27 (4363 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Hobie, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 14:18

Rob, I think your only logical next step is to start filling out some form 1's and 4's. get yourself some SBR's, SBS's, and cans!! That's about as opposite as 'under the radar' as you can get. A lot of fun, too!!! I'm up to five stamps and already thinking about my next!

It is the natural tendency when oppressed to live so

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 14:18 (4363 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

that one doesn't attract attention and to be constantly looking for those looking for you, i.e. become "paranoid" to some degree. So, the question is, is living "below the radar" a cause or a symptom?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Not me............

by Byron, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 14:39 (4363 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I don't have any guns....sold them all to a guy named Joe at a gun show....got $500 dollars...

Had a couple of others that I lost in a boating accident...at the bottom of the lake...all gone...

I miss them...still don't know why anyone would want to have a dangerous gun in their house...

Trying to be a good American..

Byron

They scare me!

by Boge Quinn, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 14:45 (4363 days ago) @ Byron

Yep, that's it.

They scare me!

by Jhenry, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 15:56 (4362 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

I have handled and shot some of yours buddy. Send them my way so you can feel safe :-D

At least you got something...

by Drago, Monday, October 22, 2012, 20:50 (4361 days ago) @ Byron

All mine were lost in a tragic boating accident. They said camoes wre "tippy" but I didn't believe them....:-|

I don't believe it's unpatriotic.

by Kentucky, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 14:56 (4363 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

When the sitting president of the country openly states he'd like to see bans on guns, it's not too surprising that normal folks react by trying to stay "under the radar".

I do feel that it's unfortunate that we are in this position, but on the off chance that "he" gets re-elected, this could become the new reality.

Sometimes a patriot has to maintain a low profile.

JMHO

A natural thing

by Charles, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 16:38 (4362 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

This is a natural thing in a society where the people don't trust their government.

I've been diagnosed with a bad case of Hoplophobia.

by Murphy @, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 18:35 (4362 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The 1st of November, people in my state will be allowed to actually carry guns on their hip in public! Not sure how I'm gonna deal with it. I may need to see if I can draw a 'check'.

Murphy

Loving your country while fearing your government...

by AaronB, Monday, October 22, 2012, 09:03 (4362 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...a lot of people around the world have had to live that way down through history.

-AaronB

That's the point; we should not live in fear...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 22, 2012, 09:34 (4362 days ago) @ AaronB

we have developed this thought process of there is nothing, I, as an individual can do... While we see the opposite from our nations enemies within. steady, incremental encroachment on the Constitution.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That's the point; we should not live in fear...

by Charles, Monday, October 22, 2012, 10:05 (4362 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The question might pivot on what a fellow means by fear. I agree a fellow should not live in fear, but what is it. Being careful hiking in rattlesnake country on where you put your hands and feet is not fear, but caution.

I really don't see guys wanting to have some guns off the books as living in fear. I see it as taking precautions against something that may or may not happen. This is akin to keep first aid stuff in your car and home, buying life insurance to help your loved ones in case of your death and many more things I could mention.

I am not a fearful person and never have been, but I do take precautions when the circumstances indicate that would be a wise idea. Many of us have CHL/CWP, but that does not mean we are living in fear, does it?

Some folks go to seed on taking precautions to the point where they might live in fear. I think these extreme prepers have gone off the deep end and have lost any sense of positive outlook on life in this country.

So where does caution end and fear begin? Not having the gift of mind reading, I don't know. Just because I see a fellow looking for a gun with no paper trail, I don't assume that this is symptomatic of a life of fear. Maybe so and maybe not.

Dittos...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:15 (4361 days ago) @ Charles

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The Empowered Man

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 22, 2012, 18:24 (4361 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

RSS Feed of thread