Any "good, bad or ugly" about frangible bullets?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, October 19, 2012, 11:12 (4365 days ago)

A shooting bud asked me about them. I have no experience. Specifically 9mm but an unnamed brand over on GunBroker.

Thanks!

by DSikes, Friday, October 19, 2012, 15:52 (4365 days ago) @ Hoot

I've used Triton Frangibles before... they don't expand... they are like ball ammo when they hit soft flesh but will come apart if they hit anything hard... now there are other types of "frangible" that are realy just pre stressed bullets that come apart into several pieces when they enter flesh... I've used those too.. in .22lr, they work great... that's the experience I have with them.

I shot some SPEER (IIRC) 9mm...

by cas, Friday, October 19, 2012, 16:28 (4365 days ago) @ DSikes

….at least I think it was SPEER, I'd have to go look. The only issue we has was they were 100gr bullets and the guns were sighted in with 124 & 147 gr bullets respectively.

Hi Don!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 22, 2012, 07:22 (4362 days ago) @ DSikes

Good to see you are still around! Hope all is well with you and yours.

by Catoosa, Friday, October 19, 2012, 23:10 (4364 days ago) @ Hoot

I have shot a few Glaser Blues. 9mm consistently fragmented and blew waterfilled milk jugs all to pieces. .38 Specials sometimes did and sometimes didn't. When they didn't fragment they were unimpressive.

It's 9mm

by Bud, Saturday, October 20, 2012, 10:31 (4364 days ago) @ Catoosa

does it really matter ???

Not in the grand scheme of things

by Catoosa, Saturday, October 20, 2012, 17:10 (4364 days ago) @ Bud

I have carried Glasers in situations where I was concerned about overpenetration, such as providing security at an estate sale in a not-so-great part of town, with lots of people present. Otherwise, I don't bother with them much now that I'm retired to the wide open spaces of Middle Tennessee. Like most types of "specialty" ammo, they have pretty limited usefulness.

Not in the grand scheme of things

by uncowboy, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 06:38 (4363 days ago) @ Catoosa

I had a case in 9MM and used them at Glock matches VERY ACCURATE! J.Michael

Thanks fellas!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 22, 2012, 07:21 (4362 days ago) @ Hoot

I passed on your comments.

RSS Feed of thread