Truck batteries always die at the worst time....

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 18, 2012, 09:51 (4366 days ago)

...just sayin'... $120.00 later I'm back on the road.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

! In the fast lane [passing a semi going into Gallup 2

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 18, 2012, 10:17 (4366 days ago) @ Hobie

years ago- battery gave up the ghost right now...I managed to not get hit by the 20 or so cars behind me got off the side of the road, waited a few minutes cranked it up, and made it to Pep boys..98 bucks and 15 minutes later I was back on the road.
One of the many things I like about my new to me CUCV Blazer, is the dual battery/alt system.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Yep, dual battery system... I couldn't even put the darn

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 18, 2012, 15:47 (4366 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

thing in neutral to push it! I guess this is they way they are made now...:-(

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

that is called "murphy's law of batteries"

by bj @, Saturday, October 20, 2012, 00:27 (4364 days ago) @ Hobie

(and for the record that doesn't refer to our Murphy)

They will always die at the worst time, vehicle batteries, flashlight batteries, whatever.

It has always amazed me that car batteries will die completely with virtually no warning.

I have learned that here in the hot south, a battery in a large vehicle will rarely last longer than 36 months due to the amount of heat under the hood. It doesn't matter what the original warranty on the battery was. In a cooler climate I have heard that batteries might actually last until the end of their warranty. In our past 2 family vehicles I would watch the batteries and when they hit 36 months I would replace them. My wife now has a GMC Acadia with the battery in a compartment inside the vehicle, probably away from the hot underhood conditions and it might actually last longer. I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk this in the name of experimentation or just be conservative and replace the batteries as I always have. Before I learned the 36 month guideline I've been stranded in a lot of different places with a dead battery.

Interesting, I've had similar experiences. The ORIGINAL

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, October 20, 2012, 07:51 (4364 days ago) @ bj

battery lasted 6 years. Worked great 15 minutes before it died after driving 150 yards. We don't get a lot of extremes in temps here. This last one went 17-18 months but was "guaranteed" for 3 years. We'll see with the new one. Might change vehicles before this one dies.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Our high temp here today will be 94

by B2, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 11:58 (4363 days ago) @ Hobie

It is the heat that kills the batteries

RSS Feed of thread