Linebaugh Custom 45 Colt

by AkRay, Sunday, October 14, 2012, 21:59 (4369 days ago)

This is a "Small 45 Colt" conversion from Linebaugh Custom Sixguns. Linebaugh's handwritten note says, "This is a lot of gun & what I recommend for most folks unless they are hunting the biggest & the baddest." The factory cylinder was rebored from 44 Magnum to tight spec 45 Colt. The loads recommended on the data sheet supplied with the gun take a 260 gr cast bullet to about 1450 fps. I don't think this conversion is offered any more but it's a good one. It makes for a very shootable yet powerful 45 Colt when you need it.

I found this one about a week and a half ago in a craigslist ad. The older gentleman said he ordered it 20 or more years ago, when a friend of his mentioned Linebaugh's work and recommended he send his 44 Magnum Bisley in for the conversion. He told me that he took one black bear with it. The bore is leaded from using bullets that are too hard, I think, but I can try some things to get most of the lead out. I've looked in the stores for Chore Boy copper scrub pads, but I don't think they're carried here.

[image]

[image]

One thing I noticed right away about this gun is that it doesn't have any Linebaugh Custom i.d. on it. It says 45 Colt on the barrel, but that's it. It doesn't have a freespin cylinder either, but you can tell the action and trigger have had some attention. I might have to get some upgrades on it, but I think it will get a lot of use.

Linebaugh Custom 45 Colt

by Paul ⌂, Monday, October 15, 2012, 00:59 (4369 days ago) @ AkRay

You find the dangdest deals, Ray. Congrats on what looks to be a fine piece of portable ordnance. Let us know how it shoots for you once you get 'er cleaned up.

Linebaugh Custom 45 Colt

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, October 15, 2012, 08:57 (4369 days ago) @ AkRay

Nice gun. The best thing I have found for getting lead out is fine bronze or brass screen. Put a piece over a patch and it will cut the lead out.

Lewis Lead Remover.

by JLF @, Monday, October 15, 2012, 11:40 (4369 days ago) @ Sarge

I don't know if these are still on the market or not. It's a threaded bore rod with a number of special jigs and a supply of pre-cut brass screen discs. You drag the screen through the bore with the rod, and lead shavings fall out on the bench. It's by far the best de-leader I ever used.

JLF

Lewis Lead Remover is available at MO Bullet Co.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, October 15, 2012, 23:46 (4368 days ago) @ JLF

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=7

It would appear that they preemptively stole my idear ;)

Brownells had them, probably still do

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 18:24 (4367 days ago) @ Sarge

nm

Another one??? Does this mean you will selling off those

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 15, 2012, 09:30 (4369 days ago) @ AkRay

other older Linebaughs... I think I can dig up 6 pieces of spent 8mm Label brass and a set of Herter's 9x21 Mauser dies...:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Sell off? If I find one or two more, I can start to be a

by AkRay, Monday, October 15, 2012, 15:37 (4369 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

"Linebaugh Collector" and start on the path to respectability and status.

Lead removal

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, October 15, 2012, 18:15 (4368 days ago) @ AkRay

I buy bronze wool from the Ace Hardware store. I find the medium to work well. I wrap it around an old bore brush. Just a thought.

Art

RSS Feed of thread