Primer pockets

by Catoosa, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 19:44 (4294 days ago) @ Art

Art, Lee makes a universal decapping die that works for most everything. I have mine set up in an inexpensive Lee Partner press that I have bolted to a piece of 2x4 and C-clamped to my bench. When it gets all crudded up with primer residue, I unclamp it and take it outside, hose it off with Gunscrubber, then dry, relube it and clamp it back down. Keeps that nasty, abrasive primer residue away from my good presses, and they almost never need cleaning.

BTW, for those who, like me, are anal about clean cases and primer pockets, a short length of the old pencil-type typewriter eraser sticks chucked up in s drill motor makes the best primer pocket cleaner to be had. Trim the wood back just a bit deeper than a primer pocket by using a sharp knife like a lathe turning tool while the eraser stick spins. Leave the rubber part full diameter for large primer pockets, and turn it down a bit for small ones. Needs to be just slightly loose in the pocket or the rubber will twist off as it spins. When you get it right, it's good for several hundred cases before the tip needs to be recut, and it leaves the pockets clean and shiny with just a touch. Only problem is finding the dern eraser sticks - typewriters are about extinct now, and so are the erasers. Might be something similar for the power erasers used by draftsmen.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread