Hoot, I'm not quite sure yet. Still reading, digging,

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 14:53 (4301 days ago) @ Hoot

cogitating, etc. The more I dig the more intrigued I am. :-)

I've got an email off to Veral Smith of LBT about cast pellets. Didn't know he did that kind of work too. There's a guy or three on the Gateway to Airguns forum that use his molds in their Korean air rifles. Seems like they are shooting 50 +/- grain LBT slugs out of their 25 calibers.

The function of the lube grooves would be to reduce friction more than anything. It sounds like they are using .251" pure lead projectiles in their Sumatra rifles/carbines. My interest is in the Benjamin Marauder and I've not been able to find much about using cast in them. Don't know if they have the same choked barrel set up or not. I'm thinking that a bore diameter nose with a groove diameter reasonably thin skirt should be a good ticket towards accuracy in these guns - but it's just speculation at this point.

I've considered a design (need to draw it out) that would essentially be a bore diameter drill bit drilled nearly through a set of mold blocks. This would give a nose pour bullet. A groove diameter bit would follow it to allow for a pin setup to adjust length of skirt and possibly a hollow base. You'd end up with a flat round nose profile cup shape pellet with a short skirt at the base. If I had a decent drill press setup I'd take a shot at making one myself.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread