It has been HOT! Not done any reloading in awhile.

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, August 02, 2022, 20:17 (626 days ago)

Tonight after the heat went off I went to the shop and loaded some .45 Colts. It's been awhile. I had an old can of 700X with a little powder in it and wanted to use it up. I decided to use the SSK 270 gr. FP an 6.2 gr. of 700X for around 850 fps.

These were loaded in mixed Starline and Winchester cases using CCI Large Pistol primers.

I don't use a neck expanding die. I ground the .45 Colt neck expander plug to a tapered die and use that the just open the case mouth enough to start a bullet. This makes the case body help hold the bullets. I did this years ago when developing the 300 gr. loads for the .45 Colt. It stopped bullet pull from recoil. I have just kept using it for everything since then.

The bullets were cast of wheelweights, sized to .452" and lubed with Paco's Apache Blue bullet lube.

I seated them in one operation and then crimped them with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

If I get out to the Range anytime soon I will let you know how they did.

[image]

by JT, Tuesday, August 02, 2022, 22:07 (626 days ago) @ JimT

105 HERE YESTERDAY. WE GET OUT EARLY AND QUIT EARLY.

We drove through rain this morning across Idaho...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, August 02, 2022, 22:44 (626 days ago) @ JimT

didn't get any reloading done either. Sure do need to, though. That Tyler built Ruger needs something better than I fed it last time, the .451" 454191 Lyman bullet would probably shoot better sized to .452" or as cast. Still, it's been a fun pistola so far. We just pulled into SW CO in the midst of some lightning displays and scattered rain drops. I keep praying that the folks that really need the moisture will get it. Andy Larson up in MT is on the alert for the Christian camp and his cabin that are both on pre-evacuation due to a large fire in the neighborhood.

by E Sisk, Wednesday, August 03, 2022, 14:46 (626 days ago) @ JimT

Made a few 480 Ruger bullets, 45 acp case jackets. At midnight here it's a tolerable 80 degrees but 100% humidity sitting in front of a fan it's tolerable.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, August 06, 2022, 21:58 (622 days ago) @ JimT

Been loading most every week. Air conditioned shop. Put 30 through the 06 today.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Sunday, August 07, 2022, 13:35 (622 days ago) @ JimT

Forgot to tell you, I like the looks of that bullet.

I used that bullet to take a number of animals ...

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, August 07, 2022, 14:30 (622 days ago) @ Creeker

including an SCI Record Book Javelina. It has always been an accurate bullet in all the pistols I shot it in.

RSS Feed of thread