The 1862 Colt Police Model

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 17:05 (667 days ago)
edited by JimT, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 22:22

Some time back John Taffin was sharing with some of us about his on-going tests of blackpowder cap and ball pistols. He posted some really nice photos of various one and among them he had some pictures of the 1862 Colt Police Model in .36 caliber. I had been looking at these online and the fact that you can order one and have it shipped directly to you just like you could with almost any firearm back when America was a free country made the little pistol really attractive. I mentioned to John if he didn't quit posting photos it was gonna cost me some money!

At the same time I received an email from a friend asking me what barrel length I preferred. I said I liked them all but the 4 1/2" was the most attractive to me. A couple days later a package was delivered to me and in it was a beautiful 1862 Colt Police pistol!

[image]

[image]

When I told my friend I would get it right back to him after I shot it awhile he said "No .. it is a gift!" I was amazed .. and grateful.

I gathered the stuff together to shoot it. I had to buy some round balls of .375" .. .376" diameter. Later I bought a mold and cast my own. I had a few hundred #11 percussion caps that I had kept from the 1980's and 1990's. And SPG lube. A little 3f blackpowder and several pounds of Pyrodex P powder was in my powder magazine.

First shots were with Pyrodex P. The load was fairly light and hit quite high at 50 feet. About 12" high. But first shots showed promise.
(Edit: for some reason in the initial writing I wrote "low" when it hit really high)

[image]

Over the next few weeks I made a ball seater for the cylinder =
[image]
and gathered up all the stuff you need when shooting cap and ball guns ... nipple wrench, nipple pick, bushes, lube, etc. etc.

I cut the rear sight notch deeper and got the shots closer to the sights
BEFORE
[image]
AFTER
[image]

A full load of 3Fg black is fairly powerful. It was not looked down upon in its day.
[image]

I really like this little pistol. It is light, handy and packs a punch.
[image]

These were almost the epitome of Colt's blackpowder designs. The loading lever is the same design as the 1860 Army's .. which was a huge step forward from the old loading levers. The guns were finished very nicely and they handled really well. The replica's of today do an excellent job of re-creating a fine old firearm.

[image]

Oh yeah .. this one is imported by Taylor's ... making it all the more desirable to me.

The 1862 Colt Police Model

by JT, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 20:41 (667 days ago) @ JimT

TAYLOR'S TAYLOR--LOVE IT. I ALS REALLY ENJOY C-N-B IN GENERAL AND THIS ONE IN PARTICULAR.

The 1862 Colt Police Model - I have the loooong barrel

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 21:13 (667 days ago) @ JimT
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 21:17

version from Taylor's but it needs work on the timing, it will sometimes carry past and not index or lock up properly. The grip is tres petite and reminds me of the Bearcat. FUN!

PS - I should add that we've had more inquiries about such revolvers since Feb 2020 than we had in the previous 12-years I've worked at the shop. Inevitably, these folks were interested in serious use of the guns. One guy brought in a Navy Arms Walker to get some instruction. I have no idea how he intended to carry it, maybe in a special holster on his truck or side-by-side.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Timing Issues

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 22:25 (667 days ago) @ Hobie

I found that on my gun you can drive the wedge in so far that the cylinder drags on the barrel. That can affect timing. If it's too loose it can also.

1862 PIX

by JT, Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 00:12 (667 days ago) @ JimT

[image][image]

1862 PIX

by RayLee, Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 08:00 (667 days ago) @ JT

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/percussion-pocket-pistols-of-the-1850s/

"To make my 1862 .36 Pocket Model even easier to carry, I had the standard barrel cut back to 2-1/2″ and fitted with an 1858 Remington front sight in a dovetail. This allowed me to easily adjust for windage and elevation. Both parts are available from VTI Gun Parts as are virtually all other parts for Italian-made replica revolvers."

1862 PIX

by RayLee, Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 08:20 (667 days ago) @ JT

I've been wanting an extra uberti walker barrel to try this.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83RN5tm7I8E

Now I know where (vti) to look. Seems that midwest gunworks has it as well.

1862 PIX

by JT, Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 09:31 (667 days ago) @ RayLee

VIDEO IS BT DUSTIN WINEGAR. YOU TUB EI SOVERFLOWING WITH GUN VIDEOS WHICH ARE POORLY PLANNED, SILLY,STUPID, DANGEROUS EVEN BUT DUSTIN I TRUST ALONG WITH BLACKIE THOMAS,DUELIST1954 (MIKE BELLIVEAU), AND HR FUNK WHEN IT COMES TO BLACK POWDER

The 1862 Colt Police Model - I have the loooong barrel

by JT, Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 00:06 (667 days ago) @ Hobie

CHECK THE SEAR AND BOLT SPRING--TOO WEAK AND IT WILL ALLOW THE CYLINDER TO OVER ROTATE.

Will do. Another project!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, June 23, 2022, 07:31 (666 days ago) @ JT

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread