Talk to me about .25-06

by AaronB, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:04 (882 days ago)

Because, you know, I need another caliber.

-AaronB

Talk to me about .25-06

by RayLee, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:30 (882 days ago) @ AaronB

Wish I knew.....I have an untried savage 110 barrel for it. Hope to try it someday. If you are serious about owning one, there are components available today but who knows about tomorrow.....

Talk to me about .25-06

by AaronB, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:38 (882 days ago) @ RayLee

Not worried about brass as long as I can get my hands on .30-06 or .270. That's part of the appeal.

-AaronB

Talk to me about .25-06

by JT, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 12:18 (882 days ago) @ AaronB

MY RUGER 77 WILL STAY UNDER AN INCH FOR THREE SHOTS. MY FRIEND HAS TAKEN AN ELK EVERY YEAR SINCE FOREVER WITH HIS.

Definitely want one now

by AaronB, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 12:23 (882 days ago) @ JT

A JT recommendation carries a lot of weight.

[starts shopping rifles]

For my 12th Christmas, my folks (Dad probably)...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 14:37 (882 days ago) @ AaronB

presented me with a box of metal bits, a barrel and a piece of wood. Over the next 8 months or so, Dad and I (mostly Dad) turned all that into a .25-06 and I couldn't have been prouder. We went to Wyoming that fall and I shot my first deer with it. To say I think highly of it, is a severe understatement.

I ended up giving that rifle to my daughter a few years back and felt an awful hole in my line-up. I scrounged about and found a Ruger M-77 heavy barrel and that bugger will shoot! The heavy barrel gets to me after a while but if'n I'm just going to sit in a blind, it's no matter.

My only "complaint" is that bullet weights top out at 120gr. or so. There are some boutique offerings but I'd have to wonder on twist rate, et al. But, I sure wouldn't mind an extra few grains of weight, well, just 'cause.

My first hunting rifle…

by Otony, Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 09:18 (881 days ago) @ AaronB

…other than a .30-30 Model 94, was a P17 that had the full custom work over. Weatherby style stock out of some unbelievable Cloud Birdseye maple with rosewood grip cap and forend tip and the obligatory inlays in the butt. It had a high gloss blue 24” (26?] barrel, peep removed, floor plate straightened. The action had been color case hardened in beautiful blues and reds. I don’t recall the scope, but it was likely a Bushnell offering. I want to say the work had been done by Flaigs, but that rifle has been gone over 45 years now. Still, I’m fairly certain it was Flaigs.

That rifle had been made for my brother-in-law in the early ‘60s when the .25-06 was still a wildcat, but he gave it to me a year or so after Remington had legitimized the round in 1969. That was fortunate, because I had yet to begin reloading in ‘70 or ‘71, and also because Remington factory fodder proved to be supremely accurate in that rifle. The only complaint I could have had was that like most custom rifles of that era, it was heavy. Being built on a P17 action didn’t help.

I used it for hunting deer in California, but around 1975 he asked for it back (it had been a long term loan) and not too long after that I got a LH Remington 700 in .270 which was okay, but never quite the same.

That cartridge, especially in the long barrel, was my first taste of a flat-shooting rifle. I always felt that it should be considered a magnum class round in terms of speed and flat trajectory but of course it doesn’t quite meet the criteria. Very close though.

Somewhere along the line I got involved with a couple of .257 Roberts and felt that they did all I needed, still do actually but much of that may be because they’ve both been lighter rifles. In truth, the .25-06 is a better cartridge, and you CANNOT go wrong with it.

Otony

Talk to me about .25-06

by The Alsatian, Thursday, November 25, 2021, 10:26 (880 days ago) @ AaronB

One of the best hunting rifles I ever owned was a Steyr Professional in .25-06. It had a plastic stock and a pencil barrel. I put a Zeiss scope on it because I was shooting some really long ranges in those days. Double set triggers made it a pleasure to shoot. It would stay in a half inch at 100 yards off a bench and it shot incredibly flat.

I cropped whitetail does for a couple of years with that gun and I won't tell you my farthest measured shot.

I thought it was a really good combination becasue it was accurate and a very reliable killer with mild recoil.

I sold that rifle to pay for living expenses in law school and I have never seen another one like it.

A cartridge I have long admired. So last year....

by cas, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 19:27 (875 days ago) @ AaronB

...when a chance to buy one in a model rifle I like came up, for a very good price, I bit.

I like the cartridge, not in love with the rifle (it's current configuration anyway). I decided I would either sell it, or rebarrel / reconfigure it. Haven't decided which yet, but I think I'm more upset of losing the long wanted .25-06 than the rifle itself.

Either way, my dies, brass and a bunch of bullets will most likely be available. My only other .257" is an old Savage 99 and it doesn't like anything heavy/long as 100gr bullets, and I have 100, 110, 115 and 120 lol

Death RAY! :-) My wife and I have shot a lot of deer

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 21:21 (875 days ago) @ AaronB

with her Remington Mountain Rifle in 25-06. Very impressive results. either Remington's 100 grain core locl or a Nosler partition in the same weight. For elk the 120 is my choice. I have never shot an elk with the 25-06 though. She hopes to,later this week.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread