American Style Bulldog Experiment

by The Alsatian, Thursday, November 18, 2021, 09:03 (889 days ago)

I'm working on an experiment to see if I cannot come up with a good useable everyday carry gun in .44 Special or .45 Colt that is an American version of the old British bulldog style revolvers.

I know that we have seen Sheriff's Model SAAs for many years and all manner of snubby or cut down revolvers of many sorts.

Requirements:

1. It must be a strictly American gun design, preferably with some martial history. This would include various Smith & Wesson as well as Colt designs.
2. It must be a belly gun with a barrel of less than 4 inches.
3. Unlike some of the British Bulldog types, it must have a grip that is conducive to actually shooting the gun.
4. Accuracy must allow the full cylinder to stay on a standard playing card at 10 yards with one hand use ...anything better than that would be gravy.
5. It must be light enough to carry about without pulling your pants down.
6. It must have a minimum of sharp edges to shred clothing and skin.
7. It must fire at least a .429 diameter cast bullet at a velocity that brings it to .45 ACP or better effectiveness.

So, show me your old fashioned belly guns!:stirpot: :-)

An arguably American design

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, November 18, 2021, 09:21 (889 days ago) @ The Alsatian

For the past 15 years one similar to this has been my companion while up north. 44 Spl, 3" barrel. It's arguably as close to a S&W design as some of the Italian guns are of the Colt SAA. Some folks love to hate on the brand, but it's given me stellar service. A few years ago I shot it out to around 250 yards at a sagebush in NW CO. Don't know if my eyes are up to that now, but it just lobbed them right in there one after another. This one isn't mine, but resembles it closely. It rides in a Simply Rugged pancake holster quite nicely and can be carried IWB easily enough with the proper straps or holster.

[image]

An arguably American design

by Frank S, Thursday, November 18, 2021, 14:16 (889 days ago) @ Paul

Charter Arms has a five shot double action revolver that comes very close to what your looking for.
I'm just not sure of the quality. Relbility, or the durability over time.

I have a Charter Arms Bulldog, closest thing I've found...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:35 (888 days ago) @ The Alsatian

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

American Style Bulldog Experiment

by E Sisk, Friday, November 19, 2021, 04:44 (888 days ago) @ The Alsatian

[image] 44 special, Titanium, covers all your bases.

Somehow I missed the hammer spur in my first look...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, November 19, 2021, 07:13 (888 days ago) @ E Sisk

if it's got a decent double action then it could be bobbed and made just a bit more snag free. That looks like a handy popper indeed.

Somehow I missed the hammer spur in my first look...

by E Sisk, Sunday, November 21, 2021, 03:58 (886 days ago) @ Paul

I just put my thumb on the hammer.

Hey there, Scott...

by Byron, Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 19:38 (883 days ago) @ The Alsatian

Based on your specifications the answer is instantly clear in my opinion...

As I remember you are a large man and can easily carry a worth while sidearem.

Simplest answer is almost always the best. The "Razor".

S&W Mountain Gun in .45ACP.

Perfection in a sixgun.

Cheers,

B

Hey there, Scott...

by The Alsatian, Thursday, November 25, 2021, 10:20 (882 days ago) @ Byron

Hard to beat that to be sure.

RSS Feed of thread