The S&W model 648 - .22 WRM Goodness

by AaronB, Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10:36 (896 days ago)

A few weeks ago I used a Smith & Wesson Model 648 I inherited to put down a sick fox in my front yard. One Winchester HP to the brain pan from 20 feet away sufficed, as you might imagine it would.

It occurred to me at the time that up until then I hadn't given this revolver its due... this revolver kind of has a lot wrong with it on paper. It's heavy for the caliber, you can't reload for it, the ammunition for it is more expensive than it deserves to be... honestly, I hadn't thought that I would find much use for it. I generally consider the ammo too costly to plink with, especially with .22 Long Rifle sixguns close to hand. Conversely, the gun is too heavy and at the same time the caliber too light for me to think of it as a carry gun.

But it was the nearest thing to hand when I had to put the animal in my yard out of his misery, and it served quite nicely. Which leads me to think that handgun hunting for small game might be this sixgun's niche in life. It's smooth and accurate, and has good adjustable sights. It's a 6-inch K-frame, and its weight makes it steady to hold. In the right holster it may be just the thing for woods bumming.

This is a stock photo I pulled off the web, but it's representative.

[image]

by cubrock, Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 21:14 (896 days ago) @ AaronB

Mighty fine revolver, and hunting small game is a mighty fine use for it.

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, November 11, 2021, 07:03 (895 days ago) @ AaronB

I've not had a six inch double action resolver since we left the Amazon Basin. That looks like quite the ticket for punching small game. I use the Single Six that AK Church gave me way back when, but only rarely fit it with the Mag cylinder. If I had access to prairie dog infested land it'd be more attractive in that use. Where I DO have access the little Wyoming Ground Squirrels succumb readily to the 22 LR so have never gone to the expense of using the mag rounds on them.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, November 11, 2021, 13:38 (895 days ago) @ AaronB

I have 48 S&W with a .22LR cylinder, I think I shot it once, I like My Ruger Single six`s alot better. It`s just to big . Nice looking Picture:-D

by Catoosa, Friday, November 12, 2021, 09:26 (894 days ago) @ AaronB

AaronB, if you get a chance to pick up a box, try some .22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) ammo in that nice Smiff. CCI and Winchester currently make that ammo, and it is a dandy step down in power from the magnum rounds - like shooting .38+P in a .357. I have a Single-Six with a mag cylinder in it, and that gun absolutely loves the CCI 45 grain JHP. I have not had the 22LR cylinder in that Ruger for years, just load up the WRF rounds whenever I don't need magnum power (and noise).

Only down side is that the WRF ammo is only slightly less expensive than magnums, and you can't find it just anywhere. I bought a bunch at a gunshow a few years back. I still see it for about $14 - $16 for a 50 round box.

Catoosa

I second the .22 WRF idea...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, November 15, 2021, 05:57 (891 days ago) @ Catoosa

I find that the .22 WRF(I'm shooting old Remington .22 Rem Special) is a treat in the SS .22 Mag cylinder. Pretty useful but you should clean the chambers out before going back to the WRM.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread