Contemplating the idea of a singleshot 35 Whelen

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 23, 2021, 19:07 (1070 days ago)

There are plenty of TC Encore 35 Whelen barrels on the market right now, in stock in different places, the last I checked. But finding an Encore action is something else again.

Meanwhile, CVA has apparently been selling 35 Whelen "Scout" (model, not style) rifles for about what the Encore barrels sell for... down side is three inches less barrel (am thinking 35 Whelen AI - those extra 3" help use slow powders more efficiently) and they come with a muzzle brake (am not a fan of those). However, I THINK they also have a blue/black (as opposed to the stainless/black) version sans the muzzle brake, judging from online pics.

I'd no idea that CVA was selling break action centerfire rifles. Now I'm curious as to what experience any of you might have with the CVA Scout V2 rifle in general, and the 35 Whelen in particular if such should be the case.

by RayLee, Friday, April 23, 2021, 21:52 (1070 days ago) @ Paul

We have several cva-s and actually prefer the cheaper hunter to the scout. A lot of quality for the $$$. Unless you are determined about the improved chamber, the standard is just about perfect. Almost all of the 250gr. bullets at 2400 fps cipher +3"@100 = O@200 = -12"@300 in the tables in the backs of the loading manuals.

by jgt, Saturday, April 24, 2021, 05:56 (1070 days ago) @ Paul

I have a CVA Scout V II in 444 marlin with a fluted barrel and the compensator. The barrel is threaded, so, the compensator can be removed. That would mean finding a thread protector to protect the threads. The 35's are popular and I have read glowing reports on their ability. These are also reported as having Bergara barrels. Mine had no sights, just drilled and tapped for scope mounts. A one piece mount/ring combo came mounted. I could have bought the hunter model for less, but I liked the way the barrel release was designed on the Scout V II. I'm not sure how they are offered in other countries, but have read they are offered in Europe with walnut stocks and fore ends. If I shot that caliber, I would have no hesitation in owning one in 35 Whelen.

There were two SS's in Dad's coll...err, 'accumulation'.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 24, 2021, 10:41 (1069 days ago) @ Paul

An NEF and a Ruger No. 1. I haven't finished cataloging what all is there so I don't know what barrel lengths are involved but I **think** the Ruger is a 1-A so 22" and the NEF is their standard...also 22"?

Also haven't shot either but I have been a big fan of the Whelen for a while now and can say nothing against it.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, April 26, 2021, 21:27 (1067 days ago) @ Paul

A few years ago the last H&R/NEF new rifles on GB were .35 Whelen and there were a bunch of them available. Might be something to keep an eye out for.

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 08:00 (1066 days ago) @ Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Didn't know they DID an NEF in 35 Whelen. I think a lot of folks are a bit hesitant about that level of recoil in a light singleshot, may explain the number of them floating around.

If you need a bit of flame fanning...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:00 (1066 days ago) @ Paul

I can bring one to NM. Just say the word...

With friends like you...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:02 (1066 days ago) @ Hoot

who needs enablers?

:-D

With friends like you...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 07:41 (1065 days ago) @ Paul

:-D :-D

A quick look online for NEF 35 Whelen turns this up...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:16 (1066 days ago) @ Andrew

https://www.gunsamerica.com/904180292/H-R-NEF-35-Whelen.htm

No clue to price - but someone apparently had a similar idea to mine. It was already rechambered to the AI version.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, April 29, 2021, 03:53 (1065 days ago) @ Andrew

Seems like I’ve seen some of those NEF 35’s before. For some reason, they all seem to be marked RMEF. Not sure if it was a sponsorship, or a donation type of deal.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread