When this is all over with..............

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 06:56 (1115 days ago)

I plan to keep at least 5000 primers of all types in stock at all times in the future.

And to keep at least a 1000 rifle bullets of all my shooting calibers in stock

I vow to buy 8 pound jugs of Bullseye, Unique, 2400, and IMR 4350, 4064, 4895.

Just as soon as it becomes available and the prices return to normal or something close to normal I will keep my vows.

I'm not in as bad a shape in reloading supplies as some guys are but I am not ready for this shortage to go on more than 2 years. I'll have to conserve for sure.

I have plenty of Black Powder, Caps, flints and lead to keep me occupied after my stash of rifle primers have vanished. I already ran out of small pistol primers and only have maybe 300 Large left. I have been using small rifle primers to replace the pistol primers.

A guy wont be shooting as much as he used to now. In the end I could have enough hunting ammo to do me until my demise. Heck I have several hundred rounds of berdan primed 308 from back in my FAL days I can pull the slugs and replace them with a soft point or even neck them down to 243 and use them that way.

Then there is all the 5.56 ball and 30 Russian soft point stuff stored here and there. After I get to thinking about it I don't feel so sorry for myself anymore just because I don't have pistol primers.

Bob

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 17:57 (1115 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Good plan. I told myself after Sandy Hook and 2a’s became impossible to find that once things normalized, I was going to buy a bulk pack a week until I had a big pile. I didn’t exactly follow that but I did get a pretty good amount piled up. I wish I’d have done that with primers and powder as well. I need to get better at buying proportional amounts of primers to powder! I shoot a lot of 3.5 gr of bullseye in .38’s so I need to trap two thousand primers per pound...

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Hoarding is good....

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 22:38 (1114 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I didn't buy as much as I might have, trying to be certain that the shop had stuff to sell to customers other than myself and I somewhat regret that.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I am going to focus on ammo and components a lot more

by stonewalrus, Friday, March 12, 2021, 13:52 (1113 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Than any more guns!

I am going to focus on ammo and components a lot more

by Murphy @, Saturday, March 13, 2021, 14:17 (1112 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Good plan. Seems a lot of the people I see doing the most complaining locally, are guys driving $65,000 pickups, buying a new $1,200 phone, and constantly talking about their latest gun purchase. Yet, they can't shoot what they have due to the ammunition situation. And some of them reload their own. Sadly, it isn't the first time they've seen a shortage and had plenty of time to stock up on component's. I give it six months and a lot will probably be looking to sell some nice guns for less than 1/2 their worth.

Murphy

Wishing I lived in a place

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, March 14, 2021, 13:54 (1111 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Where I could make a small powder magazine, as where I live now I am limited on the amount I can keep. I have plenty of casting materials, and enough jacketed rifle bullets to last a goodly amount of time. Powder and primers will always be the long pole in my tent.

Dave

When I got out of Alaska, I stocked up on everything

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 13:26 (1109 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

in 2007-8 we had a bad run on ammo and components. I had enough to last but not much cushion...When I got back to AZ I added all I could. I has served me well. So many young friends and employees didn't plan ahead, so I can help them out too.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, March 19, 2021, 20:56 (1105 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

At this time I have plenty. Over the last 10 or 15 years I focused on components & 22LR ammo. I've never been a real gun guy chasing the latest dream but have kept my nose to the grindstone for stuff to use in them.

by JT, Sunday, March 21, 2021, 18:51 (1104 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Are you sure? When I consider all the warnings we have had I wonder if people really will do what they should be doing. Just think of the warnings:
9/11; first Gulf War; the Clinton years; the second Gulf War; the Obama years-- if all of these don't wake anybody up what will?

RSS Feed of thread