Want to by a set of 6.5 Carcano dies if anybody has a set

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, February 28, 2021, 16:39 (1150 days ago)

gathering dust on a shelf. Also brass if you might have any.

Thanks............Bob

This popped up today....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, March 05, 2021, 13:06 (1145 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Found a set here on Frontier Six-Shooter

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, March 07, 2021, 06:56 (1143 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks Hoot. One of our members here came through with a set. I'll still check the link though...........Bob

I'm glad you found them.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, March 07, 2021, 09:05 (1143 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I have been resisting the "Call of the Carcano" lately. I have a few other Mannlicher designs and a feller should really have an Italian version for part of the set. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your results when you get to loading and shooting.

Cheers!

I'm glad you found them.

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 06:11 (1140 days ago) @ Hoot

Yes, me too. I bought a 1891 Moschatto carbine. The one with the folding bayonet. Been resisting the Carcano also but ran into this one at a gun store and was able to pick out the best one left. The bore actually looks very good. I have a variety of .264 bullets from my Swede days to experiment with. With thousands of these Carcanos imported last year ammo has dried up as has brass. I found that 6.5x 54 MS (Mannlicher) brass is easy to form into 6.5 x 52 Carcano by just running them into the carcarno die and trimming back 2mm. I am waiting on a shipment of 6.5x 54 MS.

I need to slug the bore. It is supposed to be .266 or larger. It uses the same .256 bore but the rifling is deeper. I'll just have to try the .264 bullets for now. NOE makes some molds up to .270 for this round.

Then there is the sights. The battle sight is calibrated for 300 meters. The rear is a very deep "V". The front sight will need replaced with a taller one that I'll have to make. I do believe in addition to making a taller front sight I will screw me a blade across the rear "V" and file a notch or make a peep to make sighting this beast more consistent. This little carbine handles and feels good and light. Its a project I guess. We all seem to have something like this going on at times.

Bob

RSS Feed of thread