PCC- Dont understand them.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, February 14, 2021, 11:12 (1138 days ago)

Pistol caliber carbines.......First off let me say I am a huge fan of the MP5, top 5 of all weapons in my mind, so sweet and smooth but I would never carry one for self defense or in a war zone, Yes I know the MP5 has a long history of combat and SOF ops but my main focus is the AR version of a PCC.

Why in the hell would I want a weapon that big shooting a 9mm????? There many AR companies that make a small 5.56 AR that work well, in all conditions. The current rage in PCC AR's is totally crazy and makes no sense. Granted the 9mm is bigger in diameter but the punch and killing power of a 5.56 round is heads and tails better and add in the muzzle blast at close range is a major plus.

For a training or beginner weapon OK I agree or something like the CCU that I have but I would never ever consider it for self defense and in a hallway type shooting I would rather have the 1911 pistol over the CCU for ease of handling and reloading.

The main argument I see for the PCC is handling of recoil, I will call that total BS. For years I have taught new shooters recoil is between your ears, most anyone can handle big recoil with proper training, for anyone who has been to one of the Arkansas shoots and watched Katherine shoot knows that statement is true. My middle daughter at 11 was shooting a 45 1911 with ease and by mid teens was handling a AR without problems, she is 25 now, the 1911 and AR are still her favorites.

So what do you say, is the PCC good or a fad for recoil wimps?????

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by cas, Sunday, February 14, 2021, 22:17 (1138 days ago) @ Gunner

Ammo costs. Paper is easy to kill, so is steel. Quieter.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Monday, February 15, 2021, 09:06 (1137 days ago) @ Gunner

Put a few more mags through a MP5SD, then reevaluate.If it was available and not too expensive I think it would be the king of the PCC`s:-D

by jgt, Monday, February 15, 2021, 09:06 (1137 days ago) @ Gunner

I don't use them, but what I hear from people that like them has to do with carrying one type ammo and magazine for a rifle and pistol. Sort of modern day version of single action and lever action shooting the same cartridge.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, February 15, 2021, 14:13 (1137 days ago) @ Gunner

They are fun, for one. These days there are quite a few mew subgun designs and the only way for us non SOT holders to play with them is a Semi auto PCC.

I’m not sure I understand your muzzle blast as a bonus comment. Concussion and noise are the two biggest reasons I like to play with suppressors. I wouldn’t want to shoot anything indoors with no ear protection but you dump a few rounds from a 10.5 AR and you’ll be feeling it and (not) hearing it for awhile. 9mm would be much better for that use if need be. I’m not saying a short pcc is better than a short AR, but when you suppress them, I will say any pistol caliber is much better. Yes you can suppress a 5.56, it’ll still be louder and blastier as well as general minimum for a 556 can is a 10.5” barrel. You can drop a 9mm down to near nothing and still be safe to suppress it, plus most pistol cans are aluminum vs steel of a rifle caliber can. I do t see any reason to shun one over the other. They both have their uses for sure.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Gunner, I used to think that way myself. But after talking

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 15, 2021, 17:01 (1137 days ago) @ Gunner

& training with several very experienced friends, they all touted the Pistol Caliber Carbine or subgun for Indoor use. As Doug says; they suppress easily. Even unsuppressed, they are quieter than an unsupressed AR in 5.56 or larger rifle caliber. These men also spoke of friends, forced to retire from a single shooting indoors, due to permanent disabling hearing damage...
That go me thinking about it and I bought a CMMG 9mm it uses Colt 9mm mags, and a PC 9 converted to use Glock mags. I should have got 2 PC9s, but I like these both.
Jan enjoys shooting the PC9 and recently took it to Gunsite and did well with it.
I SHOULD have possession of my 3 of suppressors from John Killabrew next month, so, THAT will add to the fun and usefulness.

easier on the ears

cheaper to shoot (Retaliative now)

Fun

Handier and higher cap than a shotgun

NOT a .41 mag... J/K ;-)

I hope you are doing well.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

PCC- If you like them... you like them... if you don't...

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Monday, February 15, 2021, 17:31 (1137 days ago) @ Gunner

I like them for my purposes...

I shoot a bit of 9mm and have a few 9mm handguns... I also shoot and enjoy my M1 Carbine as a "short rifle/carbine"... it was a gift to me from my dad (Korean vet) ... so I combined the two... I have a original 30 cal M1 Carbine and a 9mm M1 Carbine... true it's not original to a M1 but it works and it looks a bit better (to me at least) than a AR platform 9mm and a bit cheaper than other 9mm carbines sans the Hi-Point 9mm 995 carbine... I also shoot a 1911 in .45ACP and might pick up a .45 ACP carbine in the future (almost got a M1 Carbine conversion on GunBroker that was chambered in 45 Win Mag)...

An AR is fine but just not my cup of tea... maybe a AR pistol setup in 300BLK but not 5.56...

For me, a PCC specially my M1's make a good showing for what I use them for... the 9mm M1 makes for a fine up close around the house weapon.. the M1 original Carbine (tho not technically a PCC)does just fine out to about 150 yards for critters (4 legged and 2)... and around my farm, that's works for me... don't need to reach out beyond 150 yards, lots of hilly forests...

So... do I like PCC's? ... to some extent, yes... are they useful? ... to me, yes...
can a short (pistol) or carbine AR do the same job? .. yes but not my cup of tea..

And if and when an "assault style" weapons restriction come down the line... my M1 Carbines are not "assult syte".. and at least the original M1 Carbine is an antique..

Well said Don!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 15, 2021, 19:18 (1137 days ago) @ Don Sikes

nt

--

M1 Carbine is an illegal assault rifle in my state....

by cas, Monday, February 15, 2021, 19:50 (1137 days ago) @ Don Sikes

...if it has a bayonet lug on it. :-(

I suriously doubt that any semi auto or box mag gun will be

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 15, 2021, 20:36 (1137 days ago) @ Don Sikes

exempt, if they get their way...

--

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 20:49 (1134 days ago) @ Gunner

I have a Kel-Tec Sub9 that uses Glock mags and a Mech-Tech 1911 upper in .45ACP. The appeal to me is fun (and cheaper) to shoot. In the case of the Sub9 it fits in the bottom drawer of a nightstand when folded.

RSS Feed of thread