An old Remington Model 721

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, July 20, 2020, 10:27 (1369 days ago)

I picked up a first year of production (1948) Remington Model 721 in 30-06. It has the typical plain walnut stock with a Pachmayr Decelerator already installed. The metal is very good with the finish wear you'd expect on a hunting rifle this old.

[image]

It came with a nice Redfield steel mount and 'cam lock' rings and an old Bushnell Wideview 4 or 6 power scope. My Leupold Rifleman 3-9 will replace it.

The old gun has a 24" barrel with a nice bore. The rear sight was missing but I had a Marble's 68W fold down rear sight w/windage adjustment and a 1/16” gold bead to match. I easily achieved 100 yard zero. With that out of the way, mounted my Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman; but the existing Leupold 700LA mount & rings wouldn’t allow the ocular far enough back for quick acquisition.

I already had a set of aluminum Leupold Rifleman rings and I wanted an aluminum rail with cross slots, to keep the weight down. I found a Leopold Back-Country rail locally. So my problems should be over, right?

Not quite. These old 721’s have a low comb stock, which to me means low rings. With those rings in place my objective bell kissed the front lug of the rail. So I hacksawed it off, squared it up with a file and gave it a dose of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Didn’t turn out half bad and provided plenty of room for the objective bell.

[image]

All went well and zeroing was accomplished with seven rounds of Winchester 150 grain Power Point. This is easily one of the best shooting 30-06 rifles I’ve ever owned. Three shots at 196 yards (that’s where the shade was) including an adjustment, 1 ¾”.

[image]

I’ll be watching the back pasture for a coyote the next couple of mornings.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 20, 2020, 16:41 (1368 days ago) @ Sarge

Sure love the old rifles. Looks like you found a keeper indeed.

by JD, Western Washington, Monday, July 20, 2020, 19:21 (1368 days ago) @ Sarge

They are wonderful old rifles that give up nothing to rifles made today. Very accurate, and completely reliable... Maybe not as fancy, but every bit as functional

I had one in 270 that I used for years and had some work done to refinish it. It was my first rifle. I foolishly traded it in on something new, and regretted it ever since. Then a couple of years ago, I spotted a 721 in the used rack of my favorite gun shop. I picked it up and sure enough it was my old 721 of 25 years ago. Same condition, same scope. Great price, too. Needless to say I bought it in a heartbeat. I replaced the cheap Bushnell scope with a Leupold, and gave it to my son as his first centerfire rifle... It's now his favorite rifle. I've got a 721 in 30-06 in the gun safe that will be his someday too...

I figured that since it had showed up again, that it was meant to be and that someone upstairs was looking out for me.... :-) :-)

Now that is some good karma for sure!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, July 20, 2020, 20:03 (1368 days ago) @ JD

I've had a couple of those 'boomerang guns' and it's always a treat when they come back.
'

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 07:05 (1368 days ago) @ Sarge

That`s so cool ! I like the 30/06 are you goin to use cast boolits ?? :-D

Now that you mention it..

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 20:30 (1367 days ago) @ Fivegunner

I do have 40-50 of MO Bullet's #2 Whitetail 135 grain RNFPs and some old brass suitable for such a load. I do like a few mild-mannered cast loads in my coat pocket when out hunting.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE SCOPE ON IT?

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 15:43 (1367 days ago) @ Sarge

sounded like a nice period rifle/scope combo

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, July 27, 2020, 09:50 (1362 days ago) @ Sarge

Nice find. There's one floating on the Free Classifieds on 24HourCampfire.com in .300 Savage that I've managed to resist, but I'm weakening.

I have a 725 in .280 Remington, which is the deluxe grade on that action. My favorite deer/elk (if I ever manage an elk hunt) rifle. Once upon a time Remington built very nice rifles with the level of hand craftsmanship only imagined (or costing the price of a car) today.

by Bri A, Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 19:36 (1360 days ago) @ Remington40x

That 300 Savage should be on the 722 short action, instead of the 721, but otherwise the same. Years ago, my Dad had a 722 in 300 and I wanted to get another 722 to convert to 250 Savage. Always thought the 250 could really be a different animal in a good bolt action with a faster rifling twist.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Saturday, August 01, 2020, 16:56 (1356 days ago) @ Bri A

It is a wonderful cartridge in the right bolt action. I had a Remington Model 7 from the custom shop with a Mannlicher style laminated stock and a 20 inch barrel. It ate 100 grain bullets like a 3-year old eats M&Ms. Wonderfully accurate and a delight to carry. Perfect action for that cartridge and you could really load the cases a lot hotter than I'd have tried in a Model 99.

Just had too many deer rifles, so it went on down the road. Oddly enough, my primary deer rifle is a 1950s Model 99F, albeit in .300 Savage.

RSS Feed of thread