Bought a Mech Tech CCU in 45 acp.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 21:33 (1372 days ago)

[image]

Have wanted one for years but kept putting it off, finally pulled the trigger and bought it.

First impression...damn it is compact and really fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took it to the range this past Sunday to test fire it, was really fun and is a cool little carbine to shoot. Had my daughter and son in law with me so I didn't have time to bench it just ran some mags thru it, spent most of my time helping those two shoot.

Some early thoughts on it....the rail is WAY to short to be useful with the red dot sight, already have a rail riser mount on the way to fix that issue. The area where the tube frame and butt stock meet is right where my cheek rest, not too comfortable but I think the rail riser and moving the dot sight forward a little will fix this issue. The CCU was dry and a little gritty when I received it and didn't like the Kimber TLE frame, some FP-10 oil, hand cycling of the action and switching to a Baer frame made a world of difference to the feel of the action.

While limited, the range workout was 100% and a whole of fun, way more than I expected it to be, I am looking forward to the next range session and working with it more and doing some accuracy testing.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 07:06 (1371 days ago) @ Gunner

I've looked at them for years and thought about it but I've got one 45 ACP carbine already. Let us know how it works out as you get more time with it. I'm thinking XDM frame.

But does it take Glock mags? LOL

by John K., Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 13:42 (1371 days ago) @ Gunner

That would be sporty with a short barrel and suppressor.

Glock mags?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 20:16 (1371 days ago) @ John K.

No, no and no, we dont even say the G word around here lol, although, if they made a hi cap mag for a 45 1911 I would buy it as their 32 round 9mm mag is very good.

If I had a 45 suppressor I would have gotten the barrel threaded option, but since I dont I didn't.

Just curious, would there be any issues with the blow back action on it with a suppressor attached????

Gunner

--

Suppressor on blow back actions

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 21:42 (1371 days ago) @ Gunner
edited by Miles, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 03:53

Not if my UZIs are any indication. I've got both FA & a Semi I SBRd so that's both open and closed bolt designs and I don't notice any back gas and I'm left handed so the ejection port is right in front of my face.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

Suppressor on blow back actions

by John K., Thursday, July 16, 2020, 16:33 (1370 days ago) @ Miles

Just kidding, Gunner - it seems that is always the first question I see posted on threads like this.

Agree with Miles, I use cans on semi and full autos quite often. Fine tuning if it ejects too violently is mostly a matter of adding weight to the bolt, buffer, or whatever moving parts are easiest to change or modify. Might not cycle without the can in that case, tho.

I have often thought about one of those but often thought

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 07:19 (1370 days ago) @ Gunner

it would be a bit expensive overall for what it was. (yeah, laugh all you want at that) But, one could get a Rock Island or ATI or SDS/TISAS 1911 on which to build it. For some it could be the ideal house gun.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

expense.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, July 17, 2020, 18:27 (1369 days ago) @ Hobie

I can understand that line of thinking, for me it is purely a plinking toy, have several 1911 frames and I wanted a somewhat compact rifle for my daughters and grand kids to shoot without the blast like with an AR15.

Gunner

--

by Jared, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:17 (1370 days ago) @ Gunner

Those have always intrigued me. How much does it weigh?

weight...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, July 17, 2020, 18:24 (1369 days ago) @ Jared

Have not weighed mine but understand they run in the 7 lbs range.

Gunner

--

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 15:08 (1370 days ago) @ Gunner

Combine one of those with one of these and have real stomp 'em pistol cartridge carbine...

G20 Lower

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 19:32 (1370 days ago) @ Gunner

Cool! Like many others, they have intrigued me, but I never bit on one. With a cheaper lower and good internals it could be a nice and not too pricey carbine.

I’ve long been a fan of pistol caliber carbines both for cheap shooting, lower recoil and just fun plinking.

I just picked up a Freedom Ordnance FX-9 last Friday a had the chance to shoot it Sunday. It shot well, not suppressed and unsuppressed. I bet I put 3-400 rounds of 115-147 gr ammo through it. And yes, John, it does use Glock mags! It was fun for up close blasting and had little trouble hitting a half scale silhouette at a hundred yards with the Primary Arms mini red dot. I upgraded it a little after shooting with some M-Lok covers, a good sling, light and an angled fore grip. I also picked up a $4 laptop case at goodwill that holds it when taken down. Might make it a little less conspicuous for travel.

[image]

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

FX 9.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, July 17, 2020, 18:30 (1369 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Thats a cool little rifle. I seriously thought about getting a CCU in 9mm fora XD frame for the use of hi cap mags but in the end it made sense to go 45/1911.

Gunner

--

FX 9.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 03:54 (1363 days ago) @ Gunner

Thanks, it was fun shooting it and now that I’ve fixed it up a bit, it should be even better.

I honestly can’t imagine you getting anything but a 1911 Mech Tech upper! I’m sure you’ll have fun with it.
Is it rated for hotter leadings? If that’s anything you would be interested in, I wonder about using some slower powders or even heavier slugs to get a bit more punch out of it. I played with my SUB 2000 in .40 S&W a long time ago with some 2400 and Lil Gun loads and well surpassed 10mm pistol ballistics. Probably not the best idea ina polymer framed straight blowback firearm, but it was done in youthful exuberance!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Ratings......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 21:55 (1363 days ago) @ Slow Hand

No +P+ Ammo is the only rating, suggestion they show on their website. I would think at a certain point gas leak becomes an issue due to the simple blow back design.

Gunner

--

the same almost same exact gun is rated .45 Super.

by guest, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 20:28 (1361 days ago) @ Gunner

only difference is solid pins rather than roll pins in bolt, otherwise same bolt mass, spring and buffer. For anyone wanting to shoot heavier than +P .45ACP, simply order the same price upper in .45 Super.

as an fyi, the Super loads in (of course) Super brass

by guest, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 21:27 (1361 days ago) @ guest

will net about 200fps faster in the MT upper than same loads in a 5". The ACP loads net circa 75-100fps in the longer barrel.

regarding suppressed

by guest, Sunday, July 26, 2020, 08:49 (1360 days ago) @ guest

the gun able to handle Super would suggest a suppressor will work. The company says suppressor owners are main purchasers of the threaded barrel option, but they have no idea what is being used by those owners, only that they do not hear complaints from same.

as for Superizing an already owned ACP

by guest, Sunday, July 26, 2020, 09:29 (1360 days ago) @ guest

the company will retrofit the solid pins for a nominal fee. Unsure if they want entire heavy upper or if only sending bolt will do.

Given the hooked screen door/bedspring bolt return spring, and their cautions in manual as to not allowing spring to snap from extended to relaxed as then requiring replacement, letting them do the job might be best.

But buffers are only circa $6 and springs are circa $12, so experimenting is affordable.

Personally am not so keen on their striker gun conversions, especially in 10mm, but truthfully they likely have bugs worked out quite some time back, but just as truthfully, the 1911 conversion a far more straightforward conventional action such as firing pin.

RSS Feed of thread