went in to our clinic in here in the valley and worked all

by cable, Friday, May 01, 2020, 21:28 (1449 days ago)

day. did injections on 7 patients ....i really do enjoy my work, and hopefully am not taking too much of a risk.

alaska has had relatively few cases. still we are taking lots of precautions

sure was glad to be there doing what i have done so long. feels great to have patient say that they have had the same thing done a bunch of times and they can't believe how easy and painless it was this time unlike all the other injections etc.

by Otony, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 04:37 (1449 days ago) @ cable

I get a monthly allergy shot, and there are two nurses working that department.

I love them both, terrific personalities, warm and caring. But one is definitely better with the needle than the other. They are both good, but the one is just super smooth and painless. The other one isn’t bad, but there is always a pinch.

Funny how such a simple thing can vary so wildly.

Otony

and spinal injections really scare people, and can be

by cable, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 11:26 (1449 days ago) @ Otony

quite painful when some docs do them.....my goal is to do the injection so that the patient is surprised that i am taking off my gloves and already finished. the majority of the time , that is exactly how it goes...they can't believe we are already done and just chatting.

the ones i did yesterday were just like that. very satisfying to me and of course to the patient !

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 18:05 (1449 days ago) @ cable

Commendable.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 18:30 (1449 days ago) @ cable

Cable, I’ve gotten three spinal injections of cortisone. The first were six months apart and the first one was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced in my life, ad that saying a lot because I’ve done some stupid stuff! The second one was done before I even knew it. Same anesthesiologist did both. He told me this first one was because everything was so swollen up there was no room for the medicine. After that one, the second one had room to flow in. The third one was seven years later, which surprised the doctor because he told me I could get one every six months!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

when one starts to be painful , i have some tricks to use,,

by cable, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 19:57 (1448 days ago) @ Slow Hand

and inject incredibly slowly is part of it
then it may take 10- 30 minutes but not much pain
i have patients for whom one injection every year or two is all they need

Had a terrible experience with a spinal injection....

by Otony, Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 11:09 (1446 days ago) @ cable

......but it really had more to do with the doctor’s addiction, rather than his competence.

I had two ruptured discs (L4, L5) along with stinosis (spelling?). My “doctor”, who died soon thereafter of an overdose while sitting on a toilet in the clinic, was a drug addict. This may or may not have been known by the clinic management and staff. It certainly became evident to his nurse.

In short, he was stealing drugs surreptitiously, and in my case, stole whatever drugs should have been used to numb me up before my injections. I received the injections with a tremendous amount of pain, but endured it because I was terrified of something going wrong while there was a needle in my spine. This “doctor” warned me that I had to remain perfectly still, and not move a muscle else there could be consequences.

There were. I felt as though I was being nailed to the table with fishhooks. The pain was easily as bad as trying to pass a kidney stone. When we were done, the good “doctor” rushed out of the room, leaving me with his nurse and x-ray tech, both of whom were very frightened by the amount of pain they had seen me endure. I was drenched with sweat from head to toe, the tabletop was a puddle of sweat.

Both girls kept asking me if I was all right, if I needed medical attention. I pulled myself together and managed to make my way out unaided.

Within a week, the nurse contacted me to tell me that the “doctor” had ODed. She then went on to tell me that she had suspected that he had been stealing drugs from patients for some time, and was getting ready to report him to the clinic. She did so after his death, and then contacted me, probably in violation of many rules.

She was absolutely livid, and told me that my experience had been the end for her. She and the x-ray tech Had both agreed that something about that procedure was very unusual.

In the end, it was hushed up by the clinic. When I happened to speak to the director about it in passing (I knew there was little I could prove) he would neither confirm nor deny it, but was adamant that I tell him where I had heard such a thing.

The experience didn’t shake my faith in the medical system. Doctors, like clergy, have much expected from them, and like so many of us, aren’t always equal to the task. Some men are good, some otherwise.

I’ve never had a spinal injection again, though I would certainly trust you to give me one.

Otony

that is terrible ! should never be like that ! i have done

by cable, Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 11:41 (1446 days ago) @ Otony

well over 30,000 spinal procedures of various types, and had maybe 2 where we stopped and just did the procedure with patient basically 'knocked out' with sedation.

just makes me sad and mad to hear such things.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 18:27 (1449 days ago) @ Otony

I remember when Jenny went into the hospital with our first child. She was either getting a shot or an IV and the nurse was an amazingly lovely little thing. She was horrible at that part of her job and was causing quite a bit of pain to my 9 1/2 month pregnant wife. I told her she had one more chance to do it right before she got punched in the face or got an older, more experienced nurse to do the job! She didn’t even try, she just passed it off to another nurse who took care of Jenny with the first try!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

hand skills are something not every one has- some of us

by cable, Saturday, May 02, 2020, 19:59 (1448 days ago) @ Slow Hand

have it from the beginning . others , well .... they have brain skills and should stick with that

hand skills are something not every one has...

by Byron, Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 10:04 (1446 days ago) @ cable

We have friends that are German military and the husband is a Luftwaffe Col. teaching at CGSC.

The wife is not only an extremely fine example of a woman but double whip smart.

In a visit about German education, she address the difference between "hand smart" and head smart". She said that the German educators were trained in identifying these traits and that by the time the child was in 2nd grade their future educations was designed to enhance and develop that child's inborn talent and that to try to teach them all the same was a waste of that child's gifts and resources.

Most times a "head smart" kid could never be "hand smart" and vice versa.

Leave it to the Germans to figure out such a simple situation.

B

very true; used to cringe watching some of my classmates

by cable, Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 10:39 (1446 days ago) @ Byron

:-)

by jgt, Sunday, May 03, 2020, 06:47 (1448 days ago) @ cable

In our little hospital, it is the "vampires". I have had enough blood work to come to know who is good and who leaves me wearing long sleeves for a while. I think the ones that are less skilled are probably new to the profession so I don't complain. I thank the good Lord for the new type needles we have now. When nurses give me shots even the less skilled only give a little prick and the good ones are amazing. Thank you for what you do.

thanks,i tell patients my duty is not just to do

by cable, Sunday, May 03, 2020, 13:56 (1448 days ago) @ jgt

the procedure you need, to get you better, but to do it without causing you any pain or discomfort if at all possible

RSS Feed of thread